Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chord Solos

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by LeonD, Apr 11, 2005.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Hi Mike, I've been trying to put together some chord solos and I've hit a road block.

I'll take a rather simple song. I can play the melody in different places on the neck and in different octaves. I can also play the chords in different places on the neck and in different fingerings.

My problem is when I try to put the melody and chords together. Things come to a screeching halt. The method I've been using is to play the melody and fit the chords in where I can. It's been very slow this way.

Is this the right way to do it and I'm being too impatient? Or is there a better method that I'm missing?

Thanks,
    LeonD

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Leon,
    Seems like you're on the right track. Be a bit more patientand rmember that you don't have to voice every note of the melody. If the melodic phrase terminates with a chord, don't worry about the melody note. The listener's brain will fill in the rest. What tune(s) are you working on, perhaps if I knew epcifically, I could be a bit more help

Mike

3. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Mike,

I've been working with some standard Christian chorus'. Let me give a couple of Real Book standards a try. I'll base future questions on that.

Thanks for the reply,
    LeonD

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Leon, I've been thinking of arranging some Christian songs/hymns for solo bass and putting out a DVD for the church players. I would love your input on possible titles to work on

Mike

5. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,

That would be absolutely awesome! I recently revisited my arrangement of "Precious Lord, Take My Hand". It's a slow process, but I am having fun moving it away from diatonic harmony.

Joe

6. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Hi Mike,

Great idea. Are you looking for classic hymns, contemporary songs & choruses or a little of both?

LeonD

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm looking for tunes that would really interest the community whether they be classic hymns, contemporary songs & choruses. I'd like to get a range. I arranged Amazing Grace for one of my students that will be in my upcoming Mel Bay book. I would like to give the Church bassist a range of things to work on and ultimately perform.

Mike

8. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have worked a little on "As the Deer", but need to really work on it more. I haven't been playing as much as I'd like as of late, but as soon as the semester is over...

"As the Deer" is just plain beautiful!

9. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    i did a simple but nice chords with melody arrangment of 'when i survey', which I was very pleased with. Cud maybe dig out the dots if anyone is interested?