Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chord Studies for Bass / Trombone

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sedgdog, Apr 6, 2004.

1. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    I have been working through "Chord Studies for Trombone" for the last year. I see Berklee Press now has "Chord Studies for Bass". Does anyone know if the Chord Studies for Bass is just a duplicate of the trombone book?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, my copy says 1981... ;)

I don't know if it's identical in terms of exercises, but it has at least some fingerings for bass in the first exercises.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My "Chord Studies for Electric Bass" by Rich Appleman and Joseph Viola, published 1981 states in the "Foreword" that the contemporary bassist is "expected to play faster, higher and more melodically than in previosu eras."

The book contains suggested fingerings, but encourages experimentation with other fingerings and open strings when possible. I assume by the comments, the book is not just a rework of the trombone book.

One thing you should know is that this book contains extensive chord patterns, but at no time tells you how or when to apply those chord scales. Too, for those who require or prefer tab, they will be disappointed to discover this book is written strictly in standard notation--no surprise as it is a Berklee Press Publication.

4. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    Thanks for the reply Boplicity. I understand what you are talking about as I have the "Chord Studies for Trombone" version. I learned about it when I took a couple of lessons from Jeff Berlin who highly recommended it, so have a good handle on what its all about. I was just curious if the "Chord Studies for Bass" was different or just the trombone book with a different title.

Thanks all,
    Tim

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

That's odd. It was Jeff Berlin, at a bass seminar in Caracas, Venezuela in 1993, who recommended the "Chord Studies for Electric Bass" to the group. What is even odder is that Berlin had at that time his own chord studies book which I bought and lost. His method was extremely time consuming, even by his own admission. But he said such dedication would be worth the effort and time. I'm certain he was right, but I was too impatient at that time to slog my way through Berlin's book when I felt there was so much else to learn in addition.

6. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    That is odd. Jeff copied the first couple of chord structures out of the trombone book for me during the lessons. Then I had a heck of a time finding the book itself as it is out of print. Finally found it at a used book store. Published in 1968. Sound like the bass book is probably very similar if not identical to the trombone book. I've found the book very addicting and it has really helped my ear and improv.

I have the chord tone book written by Jeff your talking about. It came with a cassette where he talks you through the chord structures. It is alot of information, but after a few lessons I became a believer in the power of chord tones.

Thanks for the replies,
    Tim

7. I just got that Jeff Berlin book myself, and I couldn't help but notice IT HAD TAB!! LOL

...oh well, I found it funny.

L

8. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    The bass version of the book has string and fingerings notes, which makes for a lot of ink on the page. I find all the extra stuff in the bass version distracting, and wish I had the trombone version of the book.