Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chord symboles

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JazZ-A-LoT, Jan 12, 2003.

1. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Hi I'm just trying to write a walking line for this song and one of the chords is an Fb with a triangle beside it. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what the triangle meant?? I should know these things.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Fb is the enharmonic equivalent of E, and a triangle in jazz nomenclature designates a Major 7 chord. So for all practical purposes, treat that chord as EMa7.

3. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Thx man... You saved me from wut could have been a bass line gone wrong.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I tend to wonder why the tune has an Fb chord in it. And what tune is it anyway?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe it's a part that's been printed out from some software like Sibelius and the user hasn't been entirely familiar with this package!!

I have had stuff like this from the "arrangers" in our band - plus parts with loads of leger lines below the staff for normal bass parts!! :rolleyes:

I suppose the other possibility is that the original poster has seen something like Fmajor7 (Flat or b 5) and assumed that it is the F that is flattened rather than the 5th?

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Or maybe it's a bad photocopy, and it's actually Ebmaj7 but one of the lines hasn't come out? :)

Either that or maybe it's a chart for Rite Of Spring :D As I recall Rite Of Spring has an Fb major chord. It's the bit with the repeated 8th note chords - the chord is actually Fb major and Eb7 superimposed.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I have the score for "The Rite of Spring" and you won't be surprised to learn that there are no chord symbols above the staves!! ;)

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LOL! Well there's a surprise! :D

9. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Lol my friend just wrote it out really fast.