1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chord tones, scales and chromatics

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by markjsmithbass, Mar 28, 2015.

1. I've finally got round to doing a lesson on how chord tones, scales and chromatics can be incorporated into your playing. You hear everyone (including myself) harping on and on about learning chord tones first and foremost but that's often as far as it goes. That doesn't help with understanding how every other note can be thrown into the mix. I know this subject gets thrashed out a lot on TB so I thought I'd share it:

It's obviously not exhaustive given that it's a half hour lesson. But hopefully it helps to introduce a few different concepts and provide a slightly different perspective.

Mark

2. As always well done and thanks for your input.

3. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is another great video you have made. Thanks for posting it!

markjsmithbass likes this.
  4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Mark, I think you just covered 90% of the theory bass players need to know in one lesson.

markjsmithbass likes this.
  5. Flatwoundround

Flatwoundround

May 18, 2014
    Mark, you are awesome! Your lessons help me out so much. I really enjoyed this and the tapping and walking bass lessons. You are a great player and great teacher.

6. Thank you kindly

7. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    You know, I finally took a look at this one, and no surprise there - good job as usual! What I really like about your instruction is that you put the theory into practice immediately, and in a way that sounds excellent.
    To cut a long story short - I also registered and joined your community (again, finally). Your website may be the best free bass resource on the web right now.

8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    It's amazing to see how many subscribers you've got!