1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chorda A string winding bunched up

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ericsmith, May 7, 2017.

1. ericsmith

ericsmith

Dec 22, 2008
    I've got a problem with a Pirastro Chorda CH A string that's about two years old.

Around the Db the winding has kind of bunched up and creates a small notch which I can't get rid of. It also scratches the fingerboard a little when a note is played around that area.

Anything to do with this? I took the string of for now.
    I also emailed Pirastro and asked if there's anything to be done...

Anyone else had anything similar? I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. The string is playable but I'm wondering if this could be fixed...

2. ablumley

ablumley

Jul 25, 2006
    upper canada
    That's the beginning of the end for a wound gut string.
    The core has probably shrunk due to humidity changes and the fabric layer in between has probably bunched up in the windings now. Sometimes I can get a few more months out of a string like that by gently turning the windings until they more or less even out, then finger-flattening the irregularities and finally applying an extremely thin coat of crazy glue to the loose spots (with my finger!). One way that I've found to lessen the likelihood of this happening (especially in dry seasons or as strings get old) is to lift the string at the bridge and nut after tuning. This seems to keep the windings from hanging up and developing into the aforementioned issue.

Good luck!

ericsmith likes this.
  3. ericsmith

ericsmith

Dec 22, 2008
    Thanks!

It's a learning process, this is my first wound gut set but they've done well so far! I'll keep experimenting.