Chorda G Carlos Henriquez

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Gregmak, Jan 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Hi guys,

I just put on a henriquez Chorda G a couple of weeks ago. I'm noticing that compared to other gut strings, it scratches a little more when bowed, and also it seems to not be able to handle a lot of pressure. The arco sound lacks power in my opinion. Pizz wise I really love it.

Anyone noticed it's arco capabilities being weak? Or is this just on my own bass?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

2. It's a thinner gauge Chorda variant if I'm not mistaken, so probably normal if it has less power and takes less pressure.
    Is it varnished gut like regular Chordas

3. The E and D in that set are of a lighter gauge than the standard Chordas, which are intended for baroque. IIRC Carlos requested the lighter gauges to make them as close as possible to the gut strings jazzers used in the day.

Especially with plain D strings, a heavier gauge gives you less of a note pizzed and more of a dull thud.

Greg, give it a month. In my years of experience with that set, once well played in the Chordas Carlos are most remarkable for their raw horsepower. They have a lower rate of twist than other modern guts for a reason.

Not my favorite thing to bow, though...reedy sound and a very different technique than steel or synthetic.

4. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Thanks guys. I had some cheap gotz gut strings on before. The chorda G has much more definition than the gotz G. It also has more thump, and its just generally nicer sounding that the gotz. However, the gotz took bowing (heavy force) much better. My favorite guts bowing wise were the dlugolecki's but they're just too expensive to keep buying.

I'll give it some time like you said. But if it still continues like this, I might switch to another gut.

Thanks again!

5. With all due respect, that’s exactly the wrong approach. Big heavy bow, light hand.

Gregmak likes this.
  6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    The Dlugolecki G is worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Weiner and Gregmak like this.
  7. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    No disrespect. I know what you mean. I do that for classical stuff, but when it comes to Jazz arco solo's, there's times where pushing into the string harder gets a certain swing feel. I mean for phrasing, not playing forceful all the time. That's where the chorda is falling weak at the moment.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  8. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Queen City of the Plains
    Krivo Pickups
    I’ve used probably 6 or 7 different varieties of gut now, both high and low end. When it comes to arco, nothing comes close to Gamut Pistoy, including Gamut Lyon. Caveat - I’ve never tried dlugolecki.

9. If i may ask, how are Evah Slaps guts D&G ?

10. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Queen City of the Plains
    Krivo Pickups
    I’ve only used the G, but it was very similar to the Chorda G strings I’ve used in the past. Probably a little closer to the Carlos version.

Francois Blais likes this.
  11. Thanks!