Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chordaphobia

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Usul, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Mike,

First off I think you have elevated the art of bassplaying to a new high.To be honest I have scanned some of your works but ....*sigh* they are beyond me(at this point)as I have only been playing for a bit more than a year and self taught at that.

Can you outline or name a few common or more often used bass chords for me? I would like to start becomming accustomed to playing them and see if I can utilize them in the songs I already know or some learning/fooling around for personal growth.

Currently I am not able to afford lessons :( but have that as a goal.

Thanks!!!

Usul

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Usul,
    Thanks you for your kind words!

Forgetting the argument of how many notes make up a chord, start by playing double stops - or 2 notes at the same time. On bass play them up at the 12th fret or higher. Try to infuse them into your already hip bass lines. Here are a couple of cool sounding double stops:

Root and 10th (the tenth is the 3rd up an octave) -you can do this on major or minor chords. For example on any G, Gmaj or G7 chord play G and B.
    For a Gmin, Gmin7 or G dim play G and Bb. Remember to play the B or Bb up and octave frome the 3rd.

3rd and 7th (also called the guide tones) - on 7th chords, these two notes define the quality of the chord better than any other notes. Here are some examples.

on a G7 - play F and B (or B and F)
    on a Gmaj7 play F# and B
    on a Gmin7 play F and Bb

Check out this lesson on my web site:
    http://www.michaeldimin.com/chords0.htm
    Give this a start. See how it goes, when you start getting the feel of it, I'll give you some more.

Peace,
    Mike