Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tiredman9, Aug 23, 2005.

1. tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    I never really new much about this technique and thought, if there are any people who can tell me about it are the guys on talkbass. I know what chording is on my bass but when do you actually find this technique usefull. When do you guys prefer to use it? How high on the fretboard do you usually start to use it? Also any other basic knowledge would be greatly appreciated
  2. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I chord occasionally.

More often I'll play two notes in harmony.

Generally, there are two instances where I feel it's useful:

1. Soft, slow tunes with plenty of sonic space; or

2. The very last note of a song.

Obviously, chording is a lot easier in the higher positions, and the notes blend better there too.

The thing is, too much of it and you're really intruding into the territory of the other players. And most of the time, you're not playing the ideal chording instrument.
  3. Chording depends on which setup you have.......

Mine has really good clarity, so I tend to enjoy it quite often! :)
  4. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I love playing in the chordal style thanks to Mike Dimin. I've heard Mike do amazing things with his chordal style. If you are interested in this topic you MUST check out his website:

If you don't already know Mike, he's a great guy. I ordered his CD's and his "Chordal Approach" book through his website. His advice, instruction, and playing have really changed my playing over the past year.

I could try to answer your questions, but I know that he would give you the most complete answers.

5. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    The best interval on bass I found is 10's. It sounds really good and are easy to use and to apply.
  6. I play chords quite a bit, but this is partially because I play in a power trio and I am actually helping out the guitarist by playing chords. The way I see it the bass guitar is a lower guitar and guitars are chordal instruments therefore the only thing that should be stopping you is what doesn't sound good. Because of the physics of sound thirds or three note chords don't tend to sound "good" in the lower registers (unless you looking for a dense muddy sound) but intervals over a fourth always sound good. Above E (8va the low E) you can really play true chords (thats where the guitar starts). Because of the string spacing and distance between the notes on a bass you can't usually play what a guitarist would (and wouldn't want to anyway), but it is not difficult to imply chords (1, b3, b7 or 1, 3, 7 or 3, 5, 1 or just power chords) and play chords that are very open (built on fourths and fifths). One of the things I would suggest is using chords melodically rather than comping. One of the things I often do is play the root of a chord and then play a contrapuntal line with quick chords, for example, I play a double stop of b7, b10 (b3 8va) hammer up to the fourth from the b10 and then hit a 1, b3 double stop and if possible I keep the root ringing while doing so.
  7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

Thanks for the kind words. There are some chording lessons on my website at: