Chords and Chord Progression Help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fleahugger, Apr 18, 2002.

1. I am kind of confused at the moment, if I were walk over the arpeggio of say, for example C7 (1st, 3rd, 5th, flat 7th and octave.) would it be the same as Cmaj7? I'm getting confused because I don't know if the a chord is is automatically a Major even if it isn't stated. If I were to play a Bbminor7 arpeggio over a Bbminor chord would it still work out? Oh, and does anyone know how chord progression works roughly, I only really know a bit, eg. C-
    • I. C
    • II. Dm
    • III. Em7
    • IV. F
    • V. G7
    • VI. Am
    • VII. Bbm flat 5

Thankyou very much in advance.

P.S I have no idea what I'm going on about so please feel free to make corrections!
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi there,

C7 is not the same as Cmaj7! If you were to walk over that chord, the line might be similar depending on the key of the song. If you are referring to simply the chord and not the whole song, you would use C Mixolydian for C7 and C Major for Cmaj7.

As for the example of a Bmin chord - your basic chord contains the triad - in this case, B, D (b3) and F# (5). If the chord is simply a Bmin, then these are the notes it contains. If you play a Bmin7, you are adding a completely new chord tone and changing the "colour" of the sound. Depending on what's going on in the song (ie, if the next chord were close to A) it could work out quite nicely. Trust your ears!

Chord progressions depend on the key you're in. To figure them out, start on the root of each chord and build triads (1, 3, 5) for each chord, using only notes from the key you're in.

For example, in the key of C Major, the I chord has C, E and G in its triad, creating a Cmaj chord. The ii chord has D, F and A in its triad, but F is a minor 3rd up from D, so the ii chord is a Dmin. And so on. Try this again for C Major - I think you may find that your previous example was not correct.

Try not to rely on formulas for this, because the progression will differ depending on what type of scale you're using.

[edit: Thanks Ed! ;) ]
  3. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    And just to add to this, C7 would be called, well, C7 or C dominant 7. Like was previously stated, C7 and Cmaj7 are two different chords. In that the 7th of the dominant 7th chord is flat while the major 7th isn't.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Nice and simple

C7,Cdom7 = C dominant 7th -> 1,3,5,b7
    Cmaj7, CM7 = C major 7th -> 1,3,5,7
    C-7, Cmin7,Cm7 = C minor 7th -> 1,b3,5,7
    Cdim7, Cº = C diminished 7th -> 1,b3,b5,bb7
    CØ = CHalf diminised 7th -> 1,b3,5,b7

Another symbol for Major 7th is a little triangle, which won't show up when I type it(its showing up as a ?)

I realize this is a little redundant to the aformentioned information, but It maybe be helpful for follow-up questions
  5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    ....and I thought you were a jazzer. :D

That upper and lower case stuff might be cool in classical music, but I rarely see it in jazz charts - just usually a minus sign to denote minor.
  6. Thankyou very much, I was wondering about the arpeggios and stuff because I have just started learning to read chord charts and for the moment my teacher wants me to walk over the arpeggios so I can learn them properly. If I wanted to use more than the triad for Cmaj7 would it be alright to add the 8th to it (being 1-3-5-7-8).

And with the chord progression can the chords I, II, III, IV, V, VI and VII go in any order and still fit?
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yeah, but it's really two different things. Ed's talking about conventional representation of harmonic function, you're talking about writing charts.

Sorta (loosely) like the difference between talking about scientific variables (x, y, P, t1/2, r, N) and talking about actual quantities (1.5, 3, 27.296).
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Chris is the man! What an excellent thread he created. Did you notice the time he put into it. I mean, check out the changes in font types, with bold lettering, smaller sized fonts, colored fonts. Then, he alphabetized the links. Cool.

Of course, he did have a couple of problems with format. Notice the "General" after "Transcribing Chord Progressions" isn't spaced correctly, and the link to "Transcribing Basslines to Standards" isn't on the next line as it should be.

It's evident Chris is quite an excellent prof., but the question remains, is his attention to detail starting to waiver here in the late parts of the semester?! :eek:
  9. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Oh yeah. I can't believe he didn't grade Wrong Robot's chords (sorry, WR).

What the hell is my tuition for? Get the coed off your lap, put the bottle of Scotch back in the filing cabinet and get with the program, Professor.

;) :D
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well my "coed" is in her third month of a semi-difficult pregnancy, thank you very I'm not around as much as I used to be. BUT...I would like to take the opportunity to thank JOESPAZZ for sending me a bunch of theory links to get the ball rolling on that links thread. Paul is considering adding a DB theory forum because of that thread, so we may eventually end up with a good place to keep all of that stuff.
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    ****. I hope that everything is going okay.
  12. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Ditto, a lot. Please forgive my bad timing. :(
  13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Whoa! Nothing to feel bad about... just a lot of fatigue and unpredictable barfing fits that come out of nowhere. I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it. My bad! I'm sure everything will be fine...I just wanted to clarify why I haven't been around too much and have been kinda grumpy lately. :cool:

How's about we talk about chords some more?
  14. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Yeah, OT does that to me too. ;) Glad to hear it's just the "normal" hell of pregancy.

And not to embarrass Wrong Robot (typos, I'm sure), what I wuz getting at was a couple of his chords need additional flatification:

C-7, Cmin7,Cm7 = C minor 7th -> 1,b3,5,b7
    CØ = CHalf diminished 7th -> 1,b3,b5,b7

I have to straighten picture frames too. ;) Good luck on the theory forum!