chords AND modes..... this time...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassist4ever, May 13, 2002.

1. im prolly going to be told to search the archives, but i dont have the time.... im too busy practicing but here it goes....

what modes go well with the following chords? (BASIC MODES)
    sus4 and any others you can think of....
  2. Please note that what I posted is not defenite, you can play anything you want if it sounds good to you. Also, which mode you want to use depends on what chords you have in the song, in relation to the root chord.

In English: If you have a I IV V progression in C, the chords are these: C - F - G. Your modes of choice would then be Ionian (I / C), Locrian (IV / F) and Mixoledian (V / G).

Sus2 and sus4 I can't tell you about.

Ionian (I)
    Lydian (IV)
    Mixoledian (V)

Dorian (II)
    Phrygian (III)
    Aeolian (VI)

Locrian (VII)
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    In addition to Gunnar's post:

Major: Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian (I, IV, or V)

Major 7: Ionian, Lydian (I or IV)

Minor/Minor 7 (applies to both): Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian (ii, iii, vi)

Sus 2 & 4 are special case chords, and can be many things. There is no major or minor definition of the chord (sus means that you replace the defining 3rd with a 2nd or 4th), so as long as you have a perfect 5th, you can use any mode over it (i.e. Locrian won't work).

Some you left out -

(Dominant) 7: Mixolydian (V)

Minor 7b5: Locrian (vii diminished)

Something to keep in mind: When you're looking at what scale/mode will "work" over a chord, it's usually good to pay attention to the chords around it, as they will typically define a key which all the chords are a part of, or at least some tonal center which they relate to. For example, if you're playing over Fmaj7, you technically have two options F Ionian (F Major) or F Lydian (C Major), but the other chords will define the Fmaj7th's function in the scheme of things! If Fmaj7 is proceeded by Cmaj7, you've eliminated the key of F Major (F Lydian) because you have a B, not a Bb in the overall chord progression. Of course, if there's a key change going on, all bets are off, but in most pop/rock/country music that's pretty uncommon and is BLATANTLY OBVIOUS ( ;) ) when it happens.
  4. Thanks, Gard. I'm still not too sure about this stuff. Figure it'll take a couple more years. :p
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Actually Gunnar, I'm going to have to call you on a mistake you made in your oringal post. ;)

A mixolydian scale wouldn't work with a Major 7th chord because a mixolydian has a b7 where the major seventh has a major 7th. On the other hand, a mixolydian scale WILL work with a Dominat 7th chord, which is a major triad with a flatted 7th added.
  6. I thought from his post he meant a major chord with a seventh. (Like B7) Not a major seventh. (Which would be Bmaj7). :)