1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chords, how and where?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Blockist, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Blockist

Blockist

Oct 30, 2006
    I am mostly a reader, i just read around the forum and i dont tend to post, usually because i have nother to say, i come on here once every couple months and just power read like mad..

after doing a few quick searches, i found little to no help on Chords.

i play a 6-string bass, and well, i dont have anyone i like to play with, and usually find myself making up my own stuff a lot and singing while playing it, like instead of playing it like a bass, i have been finding that i play it more like someone with a guitar, although i dislike guitars, and LOVE my bass.

so for the longest times, i have been trying to (most likely not succeeding) to make my own chords (by ear, which i suck at) and just keep fidling till i find something that sounds about right. now, for the last maybe 7months, i have found little new sounds that i like, or that i can build off of, and it is kinda frustrating, so i put my bass down for about 3months, now i want to get back into it very heavily, like practicing about 3-4 hours a day.... but before i start that, i really would like some pointers on making chords.

no one in my local area knows anything about bass chords, especially on a 6 string electric. and to my dismay, the music teacher i have, who woulda trained me for university (but i didnt want to) skipped town a few years back, so im left with a lack of help here, and would really like to progress.

can anyone recomend any websites, or books, that could aid me in my quest to learn to play REAL chords on a 6 string electric, and not just stuff that i think 'sounds' like real chords! although, i rarely play for other people, those i do play for tell me that they love my style, and i love my style also, i just want to progress and i seem to get increasingly frustrated with no mentors or help. I learned the bass a while back on my own. My brother had a 4 string, that i picked up and plucked away with for about 4 months, then my parents (the only cool gift they ever got me) got me a 6 string! lol.

anyways, any help and advice and info would really be appreciated!!!

thanks!
    -Blockist

2. Fli

Fli

Apr 30, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
  3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    What do you mean by "real" chords? Anything that sounds like a real chord is a real chord. You can play all chords in different ways, still being the same base chord, for instance by moving chord notes up or down an octave. Chords are also generally played in very different ways depending on the instrument (e.g. piano and guitar).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with finding out chords yourself. You learn what sounds good and not, and thus you develop you ear at the same time. However, it helps if you know some scales, intervals and how chords generally are built up, i.e. music theory.

4. Blockist

Blockist

Oct 30, 2006
    holly loving God!!!! i can't believe i never came across that in all my online searches. lol, maybe i just suck at searching..

anyways, wow again! that site is unbelievable. looks like i will be having lots of fun for the rest of my times! (and i got a super a lot of chords to print off now!! yay!!!

thanks guys, you have been a boatload of help!

5. Raum

Raum

Jun 13, 2007
    Just wanted to say your playing style sounds similar to mine. I find myself doing things guitarists are more known for, like chords and tapping. Also tend to stick to higher strings and the higher end on the fretboard quite a bit. I just picked up a 6 string partially to widen my range of possible chords.

6. Blockist

Blockist

Oct 30, 2006
    yah, i know most basists use chords to emphasize the chords the guitarist is playing, cause they sound too raunchy to play the full chords, but i find myself playing on the high notes rather then the low notes (like fret 11 to 24) and strumming full chords like a guitarist. i find i usually have to do that, seeing as i play to please myself and i dont play with others, i gotta cover all the aspects of the music and sing at the same time, and chords are awesome

like seriously, i LOVE the sound of full chords on the bass, and that site, everytime i learn a new chord now, and memorize the basic fingerings for that 'type' of chord, i go crazy with glee and happy!

thanks again guys.

what chords sound less raunchy and more 'nice' on the bass? just out of curiousity!

7. Raum

Raum

Jun 13, 2007
    I'm the same way. If I ever play in a band it'll be different than playing for myself in a lot of respects. If I see a technique used on any stringed instrument I try it out on my bass, don't see any reason not to as long as it's actually possible.

I've been having a lot of fun with my new fretless and chords. Been sliding them a bunch. :)

8. trashjazz

trashjazz

Apr 25, 2007
    I play bass with distorsion and mostly play power cords ( 2 notes ),
    put riff in repeat and solo over it. I dont have guitarist so I can do that. It is only drumer and me :bassist:

9. kshewchuk

kshewchuk

Jun 3, 2007
    Playing them by yourself may be fine for solo songs or whatever. but playing in a band setting it is very hard to find a place for them becuase chords on the bass just seems to clutter everything up. Sometimes some one or two note voicings of a chord can work cool.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021