1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chords on bass video lesson

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by HaVIC5, Mar 8, 2008.

1. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Hey everybody, here's a lesson I recently recorded dealing with questions I've had from people asking me about playing chords on bass and how I go about playing chord solos on bass. I'm not sure if this is the way cats like Todd Johnson go about doing it, but I definitely know that guitarists and pianists use drop voicings like the ones I talk about (Mark Levine has a book for jazz piano called "the Drop 2 Book"). I started developing the system I use after taking arranging classes here at Berklee and applying what I learned about horn voicings to the bass - they translate VERY well in a lot of cases. I hope you enjoy, and I'll post another video soon talking about tension substitution.

2. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    no practicing in your room...:mad:

3. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Very nice!

4. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I guess you'll have to come back to Boston to write me up. ;)

5. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Hi Adam,

Hey, cool stuff on your video.....You're obviously a very dedicated student. I'm proud of you.

I also wanted to let you know that I'll be back your way for the New Hampshire Bass Fest June 25 - 28 with Manring, Steve Bailey, Rufus Reid, Bruce Gertz, Dave Buda etc.....Jim Stinnett runs it and is a dear friend of mine.....Jim says that he'll have me teaching some of my "Todd Grips" at the bass fest. In fact Jim and I are doing a book and DVD about my approach to chord melody.....You should talk to Jim and offer to be a "Guinea pig" for some of our little "chord experiments"....I think you might dig it!! Plus it would be cool to meet you in person and hang at the bass fest.

Food for thought.....

Keep up the good work.

6. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good stuff HaVIC5.

Being I came from playing guitar for years I see something odd to me. When guitarist do chord melody they are usually doing the melody, chords, and running the bass line. When I see bass players do chord melody most just do melody, chords, and fills. I know Todd used a sampler pedal and lays the bass down then plays chord melody over it. Just odd to me bass players drop playing the bass part.

7. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Hey Todd, thanks a lot for the kind words, I was hoping you might see the lesson :). I've actually been considering going up to the Bass Fest this summer for a while, because that would really be an awesome experience to have, but finances and a theater gig happening in June down in Washington DC (my home town) will likely preclude me from going :bawl: But we'll see what comes up, because given the list of instructors, it should be awesome, and I really, really don't want to miss it.

Interesting point, Doc, and yeah, I find myself dropping the bass part a fair amount. Drop 2 voicings basically force you too, because only when the 3rd is the melody note do you have the root on bottom. They're not really a method for chord soloing, but they do help. I guess the sudden ability for a bass player to get in on that chord stuff gets them a little too eager and forgets where they're coming from. I know I'm guilty of that.

8. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Not enough strings.