Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

chords playing

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by pippin, Feb 24, 2006.

1. pippin

pippin

Dec 29, 2005
    santa cruz,ca
    I have returned to playing upright bass after a 45 year period of playing little except a uke for the past several years.
    I can play multi note chords on a uke ( 3 or 4 notes at the same time) by learned finger positions but am hard pressed due to the spread of the location of the notes on the fingerboard to figure out how I play a multi-note chord on the bass. I have large hands so I'm fairly sure that's not the problem.
    Or when I see a referrence in Bass literature or notation of chords on music for basses, is that referring to bass guitar playing and /or piano? Or am I supposed to play the individual notes of the chord as rapidly as I can?
    Am I missing something?

2. Relax, Pip
    You're allowed to play one note at a time. You pick which note. The chord symbol simply sets harmonic parameters for your selection.

3. Comrade Lewis

Comrade Lewis Guest

Jun 20, 2004
    Athens, Ga
    Pippin,
    It all depends on the context of the notes. In classical solo repetoire if you see a chord, then you must find the best way to play all of those notes together (if more than a double stop it must be rolled with the bow). Usually in orchestra settings you must divide chordal parts, but occasionally you see non-divisi. If your playing jazz then you almost always play one note at a time from the chord your playing, or scale and key which you are playing in. Make sense?

4. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    It'd be great to see someone strumming chords on a Bullfiddle. Some workout huh?:smug: