Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chords?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Brahim, May 6, 2004.

1. Brahim

Brahim

Apr 9, 2004
    Is it good to remember chords and their related scales by the position my fingers make on the fretboard?
    I know every chord has a lot of different finger position, but what if i onle memorise one and use it to find out the different notes its made out of?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    It is the way many of us start - by memorizing one particular fingering pattern. The problem with that is it limits our abilty to create new patterns. We easily fall into ruts and our playing plateaus. I have an easier way:

There are 5 fingering patterns that you should learn. They encompass every note on the neck in a given key, in a specific position. These are called scale forms. There is one that starts on the 7th degree, one that starts on the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and finally the 6th scale degree. Each one progressing up the neck. For example, in the key of G (on a 4 string bass). the first scale form, called Scale Form 1 would have F#, A, B, C, D, E, F#, G, A, B, and C. The next scale form, called Scale Form 2 would start in 5th position and would include A, B, C, D, E, F#, G, A, B, C and D. and so on. Try these and see if you can figure out the last three. just a note the Scale Forms 2 and 6 have a little position shift.

Once you have these 5 Forms you can start to learn the chords in each. You will find that by using different forms in your bass lines you will add different flavors, ideas and concepts to your bass lines and your creativity.

I hope this wasn't too confusing for you

Mike