Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chords....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by John Davis, Jul 31, 2001.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    How many of you fellow bassists use chords in your songs. I've been debating whether or not to use them, maily because of my fingers' length, or lack thereof.

2. If your fingers aren't long enough, I'd say learn how to tap them out. There are lots of threads on tapping. You can play a lot if note combos with tapping. I think that [Edit] Chording [/edit] with 3 notes or less (on a 4 string bass) is better than 4 notes. The E string can get a little in-distuinguishable if you use it too much. The A, D, and G strings sound best to me.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I use chords quite a bit. I find they sound better if you play them higher up the neck. Easier to finger too. If you play too low, they sound muddy and your fretting hand has to stretch a lot, but you found that out already.

This is more of a "Technique" question, so there it will be moved.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Implied chords, such as doublestops are often as effective as chords, and less mud too.

The suggestion about tapping the chord out or playing it up in the second octave are great suggestions too.

I play in a couple of situations with just one guitar, and during the guitar solo, I will sometimes play chords to fill up the space a little. Of course, other times I will just embellish.:p

At church, its often just piano and my fretless bass, so I throw quite a few double stops in, especially on slower songs.

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I use chords sometimes and double stops a real lot(which are two note chords, that I learned here on TalkBass are actually called Double Stops).

Anyway, finger length has absolutely nothing at all to do with playing chords or double stops. The finger action is a swift strum, not a reach.

If you are playing each individual note of a chord separately rather than at once then its more of a coordination issue. Finger length really doesnt matter unless you've been amputated.

Its not the meat its the motion.

6. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    No, I have really short, stubby finngers, I have trouble doing chords on a guitar. I use double stops every now and then, I don't have an issue with those. This was more of a question of who uses chords, rather than advice, but hey, thanks for the advice.

7. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Oh, OK. I also just realized that I was only thinking of the right hand and you're probably talking about the left hand. Sorry.

How long have you been playing? I still think that its amazing what a lot of practice can accomplish....no matter what the difficulty (within reason of course).

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I've been playing for almost a year and a half. I'm still working out stuff(notation, theory, etc...). Practice has helped me with everything I do, and I intend to practice more on chords.

9. Be careful about that... As the world renowned, HARD ROCKIN' Bassheavy has pointed out, practice is for fools and only impairs your playing ability. ;D

Edit: Damn.. Just how much of an idiot do I have to be to screw up a smiley? :D

10. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    The only time that practice screws me up is when it involves school. I do not study before a test, I always pay attention in class. I get the most free time during finals. :D

11. what is a double stop exactly? im not familiar with alot of theory and chord structure stuff (i know i shuold be...but i never have the time to learn)....but what is a doublestop? i see it mentioned alot here.

12. A doublestop is two notes played in unison (such as what guitarists commonly call power chords, at least my guitarists anyway).

13. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    A doublestop is two note play at once.
    If you play 2 notes at the same time, it's a doublestop

14. cb_sk8er

cb_sk8er Guest

May 18, 2001
    Joice, IA.
    hey man, I jus gotta hand it to ya,
    your quote is the shiznit, lol, it realy has a point, (applauds)lol

15. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I use chords on one of our bands songs, the guitar player came up with the guitar part when I was learning Michael Dimins version of "Misty" so I was really into playing chords.

BTW thats a fun song to play and it really strengthens the fingers

16. I didnt really play chords before, I thought "its a bass, whats the point?", but after hearing the intro to Tool's 'Schism' I've started playing around with them and sometimes used chords for intros or outros, but I dont think I'd use them in a bassline.
    Jim

17. I don't think Schism is chorded. :)

18. Schism intro:

G|----------------------------|
    D|--8-7/10/12---8-7/10/13-0--|
    A|--5-8/10/13---5-8/10/13----|
    D|----------------------------|

It has a great effect.

19. DrHoondeh

DrHoondeh

Jul 6, 2000
    Acton, MA
    bass chrods in my opinio are great. They are good to use in solos and they are amazing for buliding tension. This is mostly because if you play a correct chord, you get most of the nots in the arpeggio. Like a 5th chord for example will include the root and the fifth which adds a nice touch. I say that if your fingers are to short start off with major thrid chords.
    my band