Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chords?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by morty25, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Could any one tell me where i could find anything about bass chords. i can never find any thing about them so could someone please help me? :confused:

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ask Mike Dimin. He'll know.

3. Heres a few using A move em around to change chord. remove the 7th if needed

The fret in brackets is optional
    A minor 7
    E 17(root)-----x
    A x (15)---or--12 (root)
    D 17(7th)-----10 (3rd)
    G 17(3rd)-----12 (7th)

A7 (myxolidian)
    E 17----------x
    A x (16)------12
    D 17---------11
    G 18---------12

Amajor7
    E 17------x
    A x(16)---12
    D 18------11
    G 18------13

4. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you are looking for something tangible,

go to : Musicians Friend

Do a search for "Bass Chord". They have a couple of things for bass chords.
    1) "Hal Leonard Bass Guitar Chords" for $2.92
    2) "Mel Bay Electric Bass Master Chord Wall Chart" for $2.29.

I don't have either one so I cannot say how helpful they are. Also, I do not know whether they can ship to Ireland.

Good Luck with your Chords.

5. If you wanna get all technical about it, you could "read" a "book".
    But what I recommend is fiddling around in the high register and seeing what happens.
    This is what I recommend.
    Hope it helps.
    Sean -aroo

6. I have Hal Leonard's and it's very useful. It's fun to mess around with. It also shows some scales and the fretboard of a bass.

7. When would it be considered appropriate to use bass chords? I mean, what types of songs would you guys say bass chords would help most? I've been told that they are excellent when used at the right times and terrible at the wrong times, but I'm not quite sure when the right time to use them is.

8. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    im in a hardcore band and i use them frequently. you wouldnt expect it, but it sounds great. listen to the chord work by the bassist in death blooms by mudvayne. make sure you use them at the right time though, patience pays off.

9. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    Fareed Haque explains with brevity and clarity chords at:

http://www.fareed.com/building.html

Fareed haque is a great guitarist and also on faculty at Northern Illinois University. He is featured on the new Urban Knights album, too.

rs

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    The simple answer is when it sounds good!

I find bass chords can sound quite muddy, so you do have be careful where you play them to avoid overpowering/drowning everything else that's going on... unless that's the intent of course?!
    The odd double stop is great for filling that sometimes empty space during a guitar solo or quieter section or something.

There are some really cheap gig bag books of chords which are really good. I have one by Peter Pickov (i think that's right) which has more chords than you can shake a stick at and cost me less than £10.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Howards right about the double stops, they are great to fill out space in your lines. It's great to do paralel harmonies with them. You can even do some cool triple stop stuff like Michael Dimin does. Check out the lessons at his homepage. He plays these really cool triple stops in this example funk line.

I find if you want to do more complex voicings (7ths, 9ths, dim, ect.) it's best if the chords are "composed" into the song you are playing. For example, you could write a cool intro to a song you wrote. You could play some chords while your guitarist solos over them and such.

Of course, setting up your amp properly is important for chords. If you nomally are into the "thud" type of tone for bass, you are going to have to make some adjustments cause it's going to sound like mud. If you are into a more jazzier Marcus Miller/Ed Friedland type tone, or a more trebly mid range tone like Justin Chancellor, chords sound ring out very good. Remember, if your bass has a tone knob, use it. If you bass has a rear pickup, use that also.

12. umm...refresh my memory, what are double stops?