1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chorus before dirt?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MGR, Mar 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Always read that chorus should be placed after all dirt pedals, but for fun I tried chorus running into my dirt pedals. I gotta say I like the tone better this way. Much more ballsy distorted tones this way for some reason, and bass response seems to be increased as well.

I put the chorus back to after the dirt to see how my ears responded and to my ears, the resulting sound was flatter, thinner and more granular.

So yes I know we should do what sounds best to our ears, but I was wondering if I'm alone in thinking chorus before dirt is the better way to go? Anybody running their chorus before dirt? If so, what was your reasoning?

Driven Crane likes this.
  2. blastbass

blastbass Banned

Mar 8, 2016
    bombay
    Sometimes I run a drive pedal before and after the chorus, they are 2 different tones for sure and the one with the chorus after the drive kind of smoothens out the tone in a way that I like.

3. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Nick from Pedals & Effects/Tera Melos has said he's a chorus first-dirt second guy, though he's a guitarist.

I haven't experimented with it much myself, and I don't often use them at the same time (I have my overdrive always on, but it's very mild so I don't know that it would make a huge difference).

4. I use both depending on the texture needed.

5. i just got achorus and i'm not liking it after my fuzz. i just don't like fuzz with chorus, at the moment. i should try the swap sometime.

6. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Yes, i find modulation always works better before any fuzz. My superfuzz sounds great with a phase 90 before it, but way too harsh sounding with the 90 after it.

7. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    I used a Tech 21 bass boost chorus after my Malekko Diabolik on a recording here recently. It sounded like a Ghostbusters proton blaster, it fit what I needed.

8. I've done both. Chorus into dirt sounds really BIG and it's fun but I also like dirt into chorus. Depends on what you're after.

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I use distortion before chorus and it works out for me. it gives my distortion and overdrive pedal a wider and thicker sound. I personally go for a smooth and lushful sound(think 80s chorus) and it sounded great with my clean sound and my distorted sound. if you're having trouble with certain settings, try a slower rate(9:00) with plenty of depth(2:00 or 3:00) and see if it works out for you.

10. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    After years of playin' i put my chorus before dirt...

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

All depends or whether you prefer a dirty chorus or chorusy dirt.

One school of wisdom says to put fuzz/distortion/etc. first in the chain to boost the signal and give everything downstream more frequencies and sonic information to work with.

The other school sees distortion and grit more like pepper. Something to be added sparingly and at the very end of the cooking process. So with this approach, you put everything else in the pot first. And add the distortion effects last.

I'm of the second school myself. So that pretty much guarantees you the second approach is the more correct one. :laugh:;)

Driven Crane likes this.
  12. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Depends on your chorus effect and amount/type of distortion to a degree. A wide chorus or other delay-based effect before distortion can over-saturate, compress and muddy up into some drives, whereas a more subtle chorus, phase or detune works really well before a drive (for my taste).

13. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Don't forget also that chorusing your dirt can have the added bonus (or not, if you don't like it) of creating that sparkly 80s sheen, where each note sounds cool but heavily processed. Sounds really cool in some contexts, but not all.

14. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Ever since I got a flip-flop loop selector for reversing the order of a particular pair of effects I've been fantasizing about putting one between *every* pair of effects !

Vlad5 likes this.
  15. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    My looper can flip loops with one step so I sometimes have messed around with modulation after dirt, but in general I go back to where I started with dirt first.

I find it can muddy things up. But as the OP said, whatever sounds good to you.

CHILDISHGAMBINO likes this.