1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chorus choice - Life or Death situation (too much time on my hands!)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Davidg, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Davidg

Davidg Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Howdy! I have way too much time on my hands!

When I see endless threads about "what bass should I buy?" or "which overdrive is best (for metal?!)?" I always think "well, try 'em out and decide for yourself," because at the end of the day, despite some good advice and recommendations, that's what you have to do anyway. Now here I am posting one of those myself!

I have two chorus pedals I love but only need one. I've tried every setup, played through an amp and through headphones, made a recording with each and listened without playing, etc. One plays a little nicer with my fuzz and really sounds like two instruments playing (doubling). The other is a bit more subtle on the doubling thing but sounds sweeter, more wide open and a little more musical.

I know terms like "more musical" and "sweeter" are subjective. That is really not the question.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    From what you've written...the second one without a doubt.

With all this time on your hands maybe you could post your comparison recordings...or even name the pedals for more input.

Kubicki Fan likes this.
  3. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Oh ask your cat since the cat is there. Look at those ears- up to 30k cats can hear, so whichever one hurts less might be the choice.
    I know them by brands. Of the ones I know. Just got the TC Behringer-boss Dimension C. Each button is a different frequency accent, all bandpass. Enjoyable but I still like my MXR and it's biamping that leaves the lowest end clean.

4. jblock

jblock Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    I’d vote for the second one, but curious to know the brands of both.

5. Davidg

Davidg Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Thanks for humoring me!
    I wrote "recording" but I actually just played a few snippets into a looper which are now gone so there are no sound samples to post.
    The chorus pedals are a DOD FX63 Deep Freeze and a Jacques Meistersinger. The Meistersinger is the one that, to me, is a little more "musical" and is the one I'm currently inclined to keep (it is also a little smaller and weighs less).
    Despite superior hearing and cuteness the cat is no use. As soon as I play a note he gives me a dirty look and leaves the room. I don't take it personally.

Below is a picture of said cat helping me choose a fuzz pedal.

Attached Files:

6. Easy! Look for a third one to cover all bases. ;)

7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Not bad. We only had to wait for Post #6 for the official Talkbass-approved response to be posted. :D

mikewalker, Fxpmusic and karla684 like this.
  8. Davidg

Davidg Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Don't you mean cover all "basses?!"

Fxpmusic and karla684 like this.
  9. Have you tried removing one from your pedalboard and trying to live without it for a while (either one)?

I’ve been through a similar thing with 2 envelope filters. Removed one, made it live it a cupboard for a while, then plugged it back. Then realized I missed it, left both on the pedalboard permanently and ended up (today) buying a « manual », so sort of 3rd pedal of the same category.

So I got to agree with karla684. Get a Bass Clone for that big bold sound you don’t seem to cover yet. ;)

10. Davidg

Davidg Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    These two are the survivors of a long comparative search that included about 7 chorus pedals so I am not buying any more.
    I had a Jam Pedals Waterfall for a while. That is a great one but I decided that, while I use chorus, it wasn't enough to justify keeping a $200 one. Decided to keep the price under $100, tried a bunch and here we are.

karla684 likes this.
  11. So... you’ve been through that!
    Ok. My point is, if you use both and have room for them, why choose?

Wasnex likes this.
  12. Buy bought...life is short

13. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I think you just answered your own question. Sounds more musical and sweeter. No more needs to be said.

Planespotter likes this.
  14. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    I agree, “more musical, sweeter” is always the way to go.

15. Davidg

Davidg Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I accidentally found that if I set them just right I like the sound of both choruses together, Deep Freeze into Meistersinger but with (shrinking) pedal size considerations I am only going to keep one. Will continue to compare in the "lab" then maybe bring both to my next rehearsal and decide which one cuts better with the band.

16. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    regarding your original post, lots of people don't live near music stores, so they don't have the option to try and compare. or there are people like me - i live by lots of music stores, but often not a single one of them caries the bass, amp or cab i want to try.

if you like the sound of both together, is there a reason you need to keep only one?

17. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Let a higher power decide.
    Here's what you do: Take both of your pedalboard and pack them tightly into identical boxes.
    Toss those boxes in a big shopping bag and shake it a bit until you have no idea which box contains what.
    Now pack them into the back of your car and PM me. I will send you my address.
    Take your car to the nearest post office and open the trunk. Now without looking, just grab the first of the two boxes inside the bag. Take it inside and send it to the provided address.
    Take the other home.
    Unboxing time! Your new Chorus pedal is here and the decision has been made! Feels like Christmas, doesn't it?

Oddly and mikewalker like this.
  18. Davidg

Davidg Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    That is actually a great idea. Too bad I don't have a car!

19. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I loved the Deep Freeze both times I owned it, can't comment on the other one. The only chorus I found comparable to the deep freeze has been the Ibanez BC10 and the Tech21 Bass Boost Chorus. For my tastes all three are of equal quality, so I could pick any one of them and be happy.

20. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Let's see... "TIME IS MONEY", ergo you have way too much money on your hands! Accordingly, I suggest one of these, plus some time spent tweaking :)