1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chorus depth control

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Lurker, Nov 7, 2010.

1. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a chorus pedal, and want to keep it simple and under $100.

I'm looking at the T-Rex Bass Sweeper and the MXR M148, which was reviewed here.

I like MXR stuff-- I have a number of their pedals, some of which are lifelong favorites. I've never tried the T-Rex, but I've seen some good reviews.

The MXR has only a rate knob, the T-rex has rate, depth, and volume.....

How much difference in your experience does a depth knob make?

2. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    IME, huge because I'm a control freak. However, if the preset depth is well-suited for bass, the lack of depth control wouldn't bother me. The bass typically needs a little of chorus.

3. The depth control changes the intensity of the chorus effect, so it depend what sound your going for. if you like the sound of the MXR then thats all that matters.

4. JBTucci

JBTucci

Oct 27, 2008
    KS
    I'm pretty happy with the Homebrew THC. Has depth And width controls.

5. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i have owned quite a few chorus pedals and imho the bass sweeper is the best for under $100. In my opinion its far better sounding than the mxr, although the mxr is decent.

6. I like the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus.

Depth would be important to me, or you kinda get a one-trick pony.

If you want one that does deep warbles yer gonna need depth knob.

CM

7. warx

warx

Sep 13, 2010
    Marin, CA
    Maybe MXR could make a Bass Innovations version of their chorus...

8. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    I own a few classic chorus pedals. the one I use is the Boss CH-1 (analog version pre 2001). it has effect level as well as depth and eq. I've A/B'd it with the CE-2 and it sounds practically identical. some people are too good for Boss though. ;)

9. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Which CE-2? Japan (long dash) or other version?

10. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    If you are also considering used (ebay, here at TB, craigslist, etc.) you've got a ton of possibilities under $100 including - for example - just about all the Boss choruses for both guitar and bass-specific (CEB-2 or CE-2B.) Although all the non-bass versions sound just as good with bass IMHO. Might be an idea to go to youtube and give all the models a listen.

If you buy new from most places you'll get 30 or more days to see if you want to keep it. In fact, tonefactor.com gives you a full year provided you return it in new condition.

11. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    silverscrew longdash of course, I have two of them.
    also a CE-1, CE-3, CE-300.
    let's just say if you do a comparison of all of them, your eyes will be opened.

12. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    "Silverscrew Longdash".... I'm not sure whether that would make a good band name or a better Dungeons & Dragons/WoW name....:D

I've tried most of the Boss ones over the years.... I didn't really care for any of them.

13. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I recently bought the T-Rex Bass Sweeper for $100. I wanted something easier to carry/hook up instead of my CE-1. It seemed to have good reviews so I gave it a shot. It was made in China, not Denmark as the originals which cost a lot more! I was very disappointed. It was a "thin" or "hollow" sound, as if the original signal got lost with the effect engaged. I tried it with different amps and basses, but all sounded poor. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. I don't like it!

X8

14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Now that's exactly the sort of thing I was expecting to hear.... "made in China, not as good as the originals," etc.:rollno:

15. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Not surprising.........

16. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    I've thought about that before actually, a Boss fanboi band that used nothing but vintage Boss pedals. :)

17. Just a note, if you're looking at the current Boss line, I'd recommend the CE-5 over the CEB-3, the latter was a bit too subtle for me.