Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chorus or phaser?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Which do you all think would be more useful? I'm looking for something to add to the "spacy" vibe of my Boss AW-3, for the really spacy funk jams my band occasionally indulges in.

2. I have an EHX poly phase which sounds amazing!

If you want a 'spacey' sound you should get a sweep effect -like a phaser or flanger.

I can thoroughly recommend phase, I dont have a flanger but there is an EHX poly flange (combined Flange and Chorus) in the music shop by my house... but it's £150!!! - I'm tempted.

3. I was using a Boss Phaser for awhile and it was perfect for making up really spaced out music especially when you start using harmonics a large number of my favourite riffs evolved out of that but someone stole it so I just had to resort to playing without them sound ok but nowhere near as good. So if you want a good phaser I reccomend the Boss one it's hell strong and has a wide variety of echo amounts on it and really trippy. Also if you thinking about buying a multi effects pedal look into the Zoom 507 it has all effects and a built in whammy pedal and you can mix and match as much as you like, it's also pretty cheap.

4. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Go all out and get both chorus and phaser, then turn them both on and listen to your amp sing! Actually for spacey funk I like to use phase and delay, really funky sounds for that. Chorus I use more for haunting type sounds

5. When I crank the knobs on my Boss chorus I get a really weird out-there vibe that sounds like your talking with ET. But any other setting aside from that and it sounds real watery and Nirvana "Come as you are"-like, also the rate gets annoying so you either need to slow down the song or end up with all the echo's crashing in on each other. I haven't tried a phaser, but I'm guessing because of it's name it will better serve your purposes.

*hears the Phaser pedals calling* Yes yes! We're the best! Buy us and leave the rest, YAY!

Sorry, it's late

6. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    the best funky phases shifter out there has to be a MXR Phase 90. Chorus sounds cool too. Get both of them or a line6 bass pod. Just don't use chorus and phase shifter at the same time. Use them tastefully, not recklessly.

7. Jonathan Block

Jonathan Block

Mar 24, 2000
    CT, USA
    I've been using the Danelectro Pepperoni phaser recently. It's more subtle than the MXR 90. It's closer to the MXR Phase 45. The only problem is there is a slight cut in volume when it's on. Then again, the MXR gives a slight boost to volume.

8. My vote is for the EBS Unichorus. It's not cheap but it's a great sounding chorus that can be set as a flanger or a pitch modulator as well.

9. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    I personally like the sound of the Boss super phaser , but you can get spacey vibes out of all kinds of pedals. I made a phaser synth effect on my zoom 506 which sounds crazy!

10. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    You want "space funk"? Try flange + env. filter.
    don't know if your into phish at all, but that's the effect Mike uses for 2001 & YEM.

11. for spacy sounds my guitarist uses phaser filtered through a wah pedal. it sounds exellent.