Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

chorus or wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Wah

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. Chorus

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. Neither

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    if u had to choose between having a chorus or a wah what would you choose?

ps u also have a distortion/overdrive and a bass balls EH

2. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    I'd get a wah, assuming both effects were of the same quality. It depends on what you're playing though I suppose.

3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    The question isn't which one to get, it's which to get first. You must have them both. :) Also, when you say "wah", do you mean an auto-wah (envelope filter), or do you mean an actual foot-operated wah-pedal? I probably wouldn't recomend starting out with an actual foot-operated wah because some people have great difficulty using one.

4. I'd take a wah first .. either if it is a wha-wha or an auto wha. I dont like using chorus too much, I dont like to season my stuff with it.

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Get an Envelope Filter. You'll get a little of each.

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You've already got a bassballs which is approximately an envelope filter. Get a chorus because you've already got the funky wah thing roughly covered.

Alex

7. can somebody explain what the purpose of a chorus effect is?

8. yeah id go for the wah, im also wondering what exactly is the use of a chorus??~?? whats it used for??~?? what music??~??

9. If you play fretless, definitely a chorus.

10. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I'd go with the wah. I like to do alot of slapping and popping. I think a wah would add something cool to the mix.

11. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    chorus is used a lot in korn songs and sounds cool, thats were i heard that 1.
    i heard the wah in the chilis.

if i got a wah it'd be a foot one not an auto wah.

i play in quite a heavy band but play quite a lot of slap and pop.

if that helps swing anyones vote then feel free to say so!!!

thanx for all the input anyhoo

12. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    depending on the settings, you can get a chorus pedal to sound like a leslie cabinet...if you speed it up and turn the depth down. I have found on my boss bass chorus the best sounds come from opposing ratios of the speed/depth knobs. like if the speed is up the whole way, depth is down the whole way. I dont actually use my chorus that much...I think the wah may be more versital. You can always use it as a mid booster to get crazy distortion sounds. BUT the bandwagon says wahs are in, but in the 80's early 90's chorus was the rage (police, nirvana come too mind right away)

13. Chorus.

I have an overdrive, and chorus, and a wah (plus synth, autowah) and the chorus gets played the most.

Chorus. Make it go.

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Chorus. I play fretless.

15. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Chorus, because it fits into a wider variety of styles than wah, IMO. It is especially awesome on fretless.

16. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    maybe I am just too young and I dont get it, but I am not into chorus on fretless, unless I am trying to be jaco.