Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chorus pedal swooshing sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lc12345678, Mar 11, 2005.

1. lc12345678

lc12345678

Jan 20, 2005
    Do most chorus pedals produce a noticable swooshing sound when activated and when the bass is not playing? Is this a analog thing? or does digital do this too?

any feedback would be great.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Your question is kind of confusing, but do you mean like a doppler effect? If you want a doppler effect like sound, you want a flange.

3. Yeah, I was gonna say it is starting to "flange" like when a sweep knob is set to the extreme...

What pedal are you referring to?

4. Or are you saying that you hear the sound, even though the instrument is not playing?

If you don't want the sound, turn off the pedal. The pedal is "effecting" whatever is put into it- whether it's the sound of your bass or the static from your cord.

If it's a problem and you can't turn off the pedal, you need a noise gate or something.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

My Small Stone does this. Doesn't bother me though.

6. lc12345678

lc12345678

Jan 20, 2005
    sorry for the vagness,
    I find the my pedal effect sounds good. The problem is that there is a swooshing + buzzing sound that is too noticable. There must be something wrong with the pedal. The pedal is a small clone. Is this problem common with small clones or are they considered quite? Love the tone but not the added noise.

7. When the pedal is turned "off" do you hear a hum or buzz?
    Then when the pedal is "on" do you hear that hum or buzz with a chorus-y effect on it?
    Is that what you're talking about?

I use a Ibanez CS-9 with my guitar rig, if I'm using a single coil guitar, I'll hear the hum of the pickup, and if the pedal is on I'll hear the hum and the chorus effect.