Chorus Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BluesWalker, Feb 7, 2009.

1. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    I am looking to add a chorus pedal to my setup. I want to use it to add this effect to R&B/jazz ballads (accompanient and solos) and will also try it on solos. Any suggestions on what pedals I should try or buy? Money is not a limitation but I do not want to spend $s needlessly.

BTW, my current pedals are a DI Radical Bassbone to enable easy switching between my 2 basses, a Boss TU tuner (connected to the Bassbone tuner connector) and a EBS compressor (placed after the Bassbone). This is this then input into a LM II/Mark Bass 2x10 cabinet/Mark Bass 15 cabinet. Both basses are 5-string steinbergers: a synapse fitted with flatfounds and a XQ-5A fitted with roundwounds.

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Cheaper: Boss CEB-3
    More Expensive: Analog.man Chorus (around $225 or so)

Those are the two I've owned. Great stuff.

3. I own a few chorus pedals that go from mild to wild: Boss CEB-3, EHX XO Clone Theory and EHX XO Stereo Electric Mistress.

The CEB-3 is a great sounding chorus, but is on the subtle side IMO. Like Valerus said though, it's pretty affordable and they seem to make quite regular appearances on ebay... I got mine from ebay for $35 and use it for an "always on" type of chorus.

CEB-3 Clips:
    Subtle - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5312948
    Deep Vibe - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5312954

The Clone Theory has a fantastic, not subtle sound, but is on the noisy side... I think it's analog maybe? The Vibrato setting is throwaway on bass as it dumps too much low end, but the chorus modes are worth it.

Clone Theory Clips:
    Chorus 1 then 2 - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5273730

The Stereo Mistress is the wildest chorus pedal I've ever played, because it's got a flanger built in as well. Both effects sound really good and the combination can get really crazy. I don't like the chorus sound as much as the Clone Theory, but the Mistress doesn't have any noise.

Mistress Clips:
    Flanger Chorus - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6773380
    Filter Matrix Mode - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6773387

As a side note, I've also used echo (my Line 6 Echo Park) as a chorus... short delay/one repeat.

Line 6 Chorus(ish) - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5273618

I've really wanted to give the Visual Sound H20 a try. Heard some good things about it, and it's got chorus and echo (or two types of chorus depending on how you look at it :)) on the same pedal!

5sg.

4. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    I do like the look of the Analogman stuff (I'm looking for a chorus aswell), do you use the mini with a deep mod?

5. Eland

Eland

Mar 4, 2004
    Denmark
    TC Electronic chorus/flanger is a classic.
    EBS and Carl Martin makes great bass! Chorus'

6. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    I bought a clone theory a couple of years ago. Loved it, the chorus was almost exactly what I wanted. a little less than a year ago however, it developed this really annoying high pitched (near the upper limits of human hearing) squeak whenever the depth was anything past 12. Since the sounds I wanted were at those positions, I needed to get a new pedal. I settled on the Stereo electric mistress. The chorus on this thing was similar to the clone theory, but much more lush. I hope this thing never breaks because the sound is perfect for a lot of the stuff that I do. The flanger is also a really fun tool for adding color to distorted riffs and also sounds great on it's own. For it's $120 price tag I don't think anything can be beat.

7. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I have one with the deep mod. I also got the the mix trimpot, which I've yet to tweak. I haven't really sat down and played with it much yet, but it's a warm sounding chorus. I liked the Stereo Clone Theory but it was just too noisey for me.

8. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    If money is not a limitation, check out the TC Electronic SCF (if you like subtle/shimmery), and the Analogman (if you like thick).

For middle of the road priced choruses, check out the MXR..great box IMO...

For lower end priced choruses, check out the Boss CEB3 (subtle, but nice), and the Guyatone Micro Chorus (slight volume spike, but really nice sounding and compact).

9. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    I keep forgetting the EBS Chorus is there, I would love to hear more of it, all the ones on the EBS site have loads of other effects in the mix as well...

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Those Mistress clips sound awesome! I might pick one up based on these clips. Thanks.

On topic, the MXR Stereo Chorus is the pedal for jazzy/blusey type chorus, IMO. You can spend more $$$, but I don't think you'll find a better tone.

11. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Do BJFE make a chorus? Anyone know what thats like on bass?

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they don't (or didn't).

13. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I was looking for a reason to dump my Boss CEB-3...So, I purchased the EBS UniChorus. To my ears, the Boss sounded much better. So I still play thru my Boss, I leave it on always. The EBS just sits to the side....bummer.

G

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Another great chorus pedal, sort of on the more expensive side, Maxon CS9Pro. Ended my long search for a chorus. (after trying/buying many of the above mentioned boxes, including TWO Stereo Electric Mistresses.) Also, for less, with an added bonus, (a decent echo), H2O Liquid Chorus. Not a bad pedal, either.

15. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I tried EBS, Zoom Choir, Coolcat (18V) and a cheap Redson...

None od them was bad, but EBS was expensive for what it had to offer in comparison...

The Zoom is an interesting multi with different (digital) choruses, a chorus+revreb, chorus+delay and delay. It has a mix (blend) knob and a EQ (treble cut/boost), but is also nothing special (as a chorus only). For someone who doesn't own those other effects pedals, it's a great thing to have (too bad you cannot have only the reverb) and also as a chorus, it is quite cheap if you can find one (half of what the EBS costs).

Even cheaper and even better was the Danelectro Coolcat.

The cheapest and still OK was the Redson (an old japanese chorus). I payed 1/6th of what I paid for the EBS and it was awsome for the money!

I also found the Bass Whammy's detune mode quite interesting, but that would be an expensive chorus to have :)

The bottom line is, go try different choruses... you can find something nice in all of the price ranges... I'd suggest you start with the 18v Coolcat, search the eBay for one!

16. I've got a couple.

A Jacques Meister singer, great pedal, sounds good with bass.

A Moen Holly Choir, very nice sounding and inexpensive, Kind of large and has pos ground so can't be daisy chained with most other pedals.

I also have an old DOD stereo chorus, not so good with bass but dirt cheap used.

I do see a lot of used used Boss bass Chorus pedals but never tried one. They are inexpensive though.

MM

17. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    analogman with deep switch!

18. I'm thinking of buying the Hardwire stereo chorus (Digitech). I got it for a test drive and it really sounds good with bass (not beeing a bass chorus). It's very versatile with 7 different modes. Plus it's got some interesting features along with it such as stomplock guards...
    Has anyone else tryed these?

19. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    I love my clone theory.

20. Here's the thing about the Boss Bass Chorus: the NON-bass Boss chorus pedals sound just fine with bass, and they have much more pronounced effects. Peter Hook may have used a Clone Theory, but Simon Gallup used a Boss Chorus Ensemble.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021