1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chorus suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by doomscale, Jun 3, 2014.

1. doomscale

doomscale Supporting Member

May 19, 2014
    Fresno California
    Not exactly sure what im looking for as i havn't ever tried a chorus, but i would like a "modern" sounding chorus pedal to mess around with.

So far from some videos ive watched the tc electronics Corona chorus sounds pretty close to what im looking for. I also kind of like the look of the Greenhouse effects Stonefish chorus, but havnt heard any videos of it on bass. I would also like to run whatever i get after some distortion if that makes any difference. If anyone has tried either of these or want to make a suggestion i would appreciate it.

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    if you want a phenomenal chorus pedal at an affordable price, check out the danelectro cool cat cc-1 chorus pedal. I own one and it is simply the best chorus pedal I ever used on bass. This pedal can provide you with smooth lushful chorus sounds, it has a mix control so you can mix the dry signal with the effected signal, and its goes easy on your wallet. It costs $50. It's really a great chorus pedal to try out on bass. I recommend this pedal to anyone looking for a good chorus pedal at an affordable price.

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    IE Polytope or the Tech 21 Boost Chorus. Those are the top two that come to mind when I think of chorus. But I use the Source Audio Orbital Modulator. You get a lot more than just really nice chorus! :D Check them out, you may find something you like.

4. CoR Bass

CoR Bass

Apr 2, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Basses, Ashdown Amplifiers, Morley Pedals
    If you want to test the chorus waters for even cheaper, check out the Danelectro FAB Chorus. I have one and really dig it, especially for the $15 price tag. There's a couple of vids on Youtube you can check out.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  5. These are definitely the big guns around these parts. I use the EQD Sea Machine. The Maxon choruses and the MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe are supposed to be good, too.

6. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    A vote for a big box Small Clone, affordable second hand and a classic pedal already.

It has its own sound, it's worth to try it.

gregmon79 likes this.
  7. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

The more I see and read about this pedal, the more I think this will be my next pedal purchase.

gregmon79 likes this.
  8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    You will not be disappointed. I dont think anyway. The Orbital is a really awesome pedal and it takes care of all my modulation needs/wants. Great flanger, great chorus, great phaser.... Great everything.

9. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

Jan 9, 2013
    I just purchased the TC Electronics Chorus. It is definitely hands down the best chorus I've ever had to opportunity to play. It really gave me the sound I've been searching for a very long time, I would recommend it to anyone. Plus, it's great to download different toneprints created by famous bassists into the pedal itself. Little pricey brand new, but you can find it used on Guitar Center's used website for a decent price.

Edit: I run my chorus after distortion sometimes, and it sounds fantastic. It's all dependent on how you set both your EQ's on your pedals to see if you really like that or not. In my case, I add a little grit with a boss overdrive before the chorus and it just sounds killer. My bandmates really like it. Just play around with it, you'll find what your looking for.

10. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Can't go wrong with the Corona. Lot of people praise it. I went through a couple myself. My favorite was an older Dano Cool Cat 18V, but it broke and I had to get rid of it. I also had a T-Rex The Sweeper. It might of been a good chorus with clean bass but man it hated distortion. So I got rid of that as well. I landed on a Stereo Electric Mistress and I like it. Im not a huge chorus guy anyway and this pedal seems to give me just the right amount. Plus it has the bonus of the built in flanger even though I honestly never use it.

I have a feeling I will be ditching chorus altogether and switching to a reverb instead.

11. D_Bag

D_Bag

Feb 8, 2013
    Lawrence, KS
    I like the MXR Analog Chorus. It's a solid pedal for a good price.

12. doomscale

May 19, 2014
    Fresno California
    Thanks for all the feedback!
    Do you guys think that a blend on a chorus makes a noticeable difference? Say if i were to want to keep it as an always on pedal would the blend keep it pretty mild if i wanted to?

13. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    echo on the TCE Corona Chorus

14. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    if youre looking for an always on you might want to try the TCE Flanger. the flanger tends to not affect the tone as much as the chorus from the TCE perspective. test drive both :)

15. doomscale

May 19, 2014
    Fresno California
    Ok i checkrd out the ie polytope and that sounds pretty wild.... in an awsome way just like what i was looking for. Pretty "modern" sounding... i think i migjt just have to try it

16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Most def do if you get the chance. It's awesome. I had one and sold to get the SA orbital. I don't regret it as the orbital suites my needs better. But the poly is an awesome chorus/detune pedal.

As for what you said about blending, with chorus, it's not needed so much IMO. Depends on the chorus I guess. Also check out the new bass whammy. That's got two killer detune modes that are great choruses IMO. Plus you'll have a new BWhammy!! :) If I had to do it all over again, I would go straight for the Tech 21 BBC or the IE. I had an MXR BCD before, and while it sounded pretty good in my room, I may as well have not even had it engaged in a live setting. Completely lost for me.

Killing gods

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  17. doomscale

May 19, 2014
    Fresno California
    So would you say that the ie. is noticeable in a live setting, or is it like the mxr and you cant even tell its there?

18. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    i use a danelectro fab series chorus.. its v cheap and doesn't cut lows and it has a blend function so it need not go through the send return chain.. also try the MXR and arion bass chorus pedals..

Crystalman85 likes this.
  19. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh sorry! I meant the MXR is hard to get in the mix. For me anyway. I struggled with that thing for months. Others have had success with it. The Poly shines in the mix IMO. Again, it did for me.

20. I'm in the market too! Really liking the looks and features of the Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus. really like the option of dialing in the mix. Thoughts?

Marc