1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chorus vs Reverb?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mcblahflooper94, Mar 31, 2013.

1. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    I've been thinking about getting a FDR-1, I really like reverb on a bass. I told my friend this and he said reverb pedals are kinda frivolous because you can get reverb in most chorus pedals. Should I just get a chorus pedal? Thanks. And yes I did a search

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

3. I like a little room 'verb on my bass to add some air but I don't know if the FDR is the best choice for bass unless you really dig the vintage tube spring vibe.

4. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    I just chose that because I loved the reverb on my SS fender reverb (52 or 51?) reissue. If there are better reverb pedals to be had, I'd like to know. But chorus seems interesting, so I'll check that out, too.

5. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    So I've done some digging and I'm torn between the MXR M83 and the Boss RV-5. Both seem pretty cool, but the M83 is optimized for bass. Would the RV-5 sound decent, or would low end be cut?

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Not really. It's true that most multi-fx contain both chorus and reverb; and it's possible that there may be one or two chorus pedals that also feature reverb. But generally, most chorus pedals don't.

7. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I've never found reverb on a chorus pedal. You can get some interesting alternative sounds with some tweaking, e.g. vibrato, but not reverb. The only effect I can think of that can produce a pseudo-reverb would be delay, given the right settings.

8. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Depends on where you are playing.

If you play primarily in a bedroom or record a lot, then reverb is cool to give some space to the sound.

In a live setting where you have a natural room reverb present, your reverb pedal will work against that and make your bass sound very indistinct and muffled. You're Better off with a chorus sound,generally speaking.

Only exception where reverb works live real well is if you have a lot of quick bright sounds and you want a trailing roomy echo for that. In these cases, you really need a pedal or a setup that allows the low end through unaffected by the reverb.

9. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Earthquaker Devices' Sea Machine chorus has a reverb effect (the "Dimension" knob), but it's not in any way a replacement for a stand-alone reverb... it just allows a bit of added ambiance to the chorus effect.

Maybe your friend was thinking of delay? It's reasonably common to have delay and reverb on one pedal (e.g. Boss RV-3, EQD Dispatch Master).

10. I know my EBS compressor can sound a bit verb-y on high settings?

My only guess with the chorus is that maybe since it accentuates the high frequencies (or at least mine does), you might hear those reverberating acoustically more?

I will agree with what most people say that reverb is far from nbecessary on bass, and that I'm often *looking* for opportunities to use it, rather than finding them, but there are certainly times

Speaking of both of those effects, I have Iron Ether's chorus and verb pedals, and I love them both. If you're in the market and have the cash, I highly recommend them. The independant dry/wet volumes are great, and the sweepable highpass on the wet signal is amazing.

11. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    That's a good point about the natural room reverb, I didn't even think about that. So would you guys recommend the MXR M83? I'm going to be doing some demos soon, and need to start looking into effects.

12. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Let me suggest you look into the TC Electronics Corona Chorus as well. I'm very happy with mine.

13. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    MXR makes a fine chorus. However, I wouldn't be so quick to abandon the reverb idea, if what you really want is reverb. A lot of folks around here dig reverb on bass, including myself (although I also use chorus just as often).

14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I agree. Don't abandon reverb if that gets the sound you want.

Just DO be careful with selecting your effect unit, Find a low pass solution, And be careful about using too much of it. Make efforts to learn how it behaves in different settings so you know how to use it right live.

Improper use of reverb by amateurs can destroy the live sound of any instrument in any band....and often DOES! .... except surf guitar.

15. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I use the RV-5, but you have to use it sparingly....very sparingly.

As mentioned, in a live setting, the room will provide a lot of the "space" reverb provides, add in your own reverb and you can get muddy very quickly. However, max it out, and you can get some really cool sounds during breakdowns or jams.

16. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I would also add that a lot of this depends on how you plan to use the reverb (or other effects). I think a lot of the folks' concern regarding reverb's effect on live tone is targeted toward the practice of kicking on a reverb pedal that is built for guitarists and playing standard bass lines, which can indeed get muddy if you aren't careful. However, if you are using reverb as a "sound effect" or as a means of adding color to upper-register parts, chords, etc., I think there is much less of a problem.

17. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I've been using my Iron Ether bass reverb. It really sounds great. Never gets muddy. I find it works well for simple, sparse basslines. Adds a really nice texture to the notes.

18. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Another vote for IE's Nimbus reverb. I love it for fretless especially. I'm not an effects expert so it's probably user error, but I've never found a chorus pedal that didn't sound horribly dated in my hands.

19. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Iron Ether Polytope. Another winner from Tyler.

20. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    That's actually the next pedal I'm buying. I've talked to Chad at BassEFX a bit about it and given how good the Nimbus is it's the logical next step.