1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CHorus?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ElectroStompbox, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ElectroStompbox

ElectroStompbox

May 20, 2007
    i was thinkin the boss ceb-3,ce-2b.or ce-5.........but theres more out there.........i like les claypool's chorus sound at the beggining of to defy the laws of tradition.........what do you use for chorus?

2. i use the search.

3. harsh, but neccesary.

4. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    visual sound H2O?

ehx clone theory?

5. Racermech

Racermech

Apr 10, 2007
    Search for Les Claypool. You will see he uses a Korg AX3000B and a few other stompboxes. His Chorus sounds are either coming from his Korg from one of his Line 6 stompboxes.

Unfortunately....do a search....

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Why would you want to pay money to copy someone's tone?

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Because otherwise it would be stealing!

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have the CEB-3 and an EBS UniChorus. They're both excellent pedals, and I don't favor one over the other. The EBS can flange, too.

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Analogman Chorus w/Deep Mod or Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus (still waiting on this one). Go boutique and never look back.:D

10. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Don't forget to figure out what board and settings the sound engineer used to record and bring that with you too. Hope you have a Carl Thompson and an Ampeg as well.

11. I have found CE-5 to work better than any other chorus came to my hands (including all other Boss chorus pedals, Electro Harmonix choruses, SWR Mo' Bass pre-amp, etc.)

12. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Chorus is an effect I really love, but just can't seem to find a pedal I really love...yet anyways.

I have an Analogman with the deep switch...it sounds great, but I'm still looking. I've tried the H2O, and didn't like it at all. I know the Boss CEB-3 doesn't get a lot of good reports here, but I think it sounds very nice when used as a subtle effect.

I am in this constant search for that Chorus pedal that just "grabs" me...Here is a list of some Chorus pedals I want to try:

1. HBE Three Hound Chorus (around $180) - This pedal gets a lot of great press in TB.

2. DLS Ultra Chorus II (around $290) basically two choruses in one.

3. Diamond Halo Chorus - Combination dely/phase mod desgin that may be more than I'm looking for... (around $320)

4. TC Electronic - Love their discontinued rack unit (1210), and have heard mixed reviews on this box. But would still like to check it out (around $300)

5. Eventide Modfactor - (around $400) This is being hyped as "the sh*t" (but hype is hype afterall). It's a multi-effects stompbox with a lot of cool stuff in it, programable, etc... I'd like to check it out.

6. Carl Martin Chorus X II ($250) - Supposedly a very rich/lush sounding double chorus.

Well thats enough for now.

13. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have one of these and it's one of the nicest I've ever tried, much less owned. Mind you I set it to a very subtle level it's hard to tell that's it's even on at all until you turn it off. If stolen I'd definitely buy another.

14. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    just got an EHX small clone and i have to say i am impressed

15. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I just got a TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Pitch Modulator/Flanger off Ebay today (got it for $200). As mentioned above I have wanted to try one out, and thought the price was right for this one. I will give a report once I've had it a while, gigged it, and developed an opinion.

16. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I look forward to your review, I've been watching those on the Bay myself. The ones I'm most interested in trying at this point are the TCE, the Carl Martin, and the HBE.

17. i use the small clone... and in fact its one from the 80's..i bet you guys know why i use it... =)

18. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    OK, I recently got a TC Electronic SCF and thought I would write a review for all. I did a quick search, and didn’t find a specific thread on this Pedal so here we go. If there’s another thread out there, sorry for the repeat.

These go for around $300 new, and I picked this one up used off Ebay for $200. It has a couple of very small scuffs, but otherwise was in great shape. It comes in a very sturdy cast aluminum case, and is built with an internal 120V AC power supply (no battery compartment), with a hardwired AC plug.

It has 3 separate stereo effects…Chorus, Flanger, and Pitch Modulator. The knobs and switches on this unit are:

1. Speed – Per the user manual, this knob adjusts the speed from 1 sweep every 10 seconds, to 10 sweeps per second
    2. Intensity – In Chorus mode, it blends the clean signal with the chorus…In Flanger mode, it controls the strength of the comb filter phasing (like a feedback control on a delay), and in Pitch Mod mode, it mixes chorus with vibrato.
    3. Mode Selection Switch – Chorus, Flanger, Pitch Mod
    4. Width – Adjusts the sweep
    5. Input Gain – This unit has a built-in preamp (0db to +15db)

I found I was able to get a very nice “usable” Chorus sound just by plugging it in and turning it on, without any real tweaking. After spending a minute or two playing with the controls, I had a fantastic, transparent, shimmery, subtle Chorus tone dialed in that I absolutely love! You can thicken it up a bit if you wish…but personally I think this unit sounds amazing used as a subtle effect. Even though I think this unit sounds great in mono mode, I have heard from other SCF users, stereo mode is where this pedal really shines…

Another thing I noticed right off the bat, is this unit is quiet…I mean “dead” quiet (probably because of the internal AC power supply). Also, I don’t detect any “low end” roll off, or any tone suck at all. The bypass switch is very smooth, with no “pop” when engaging or disengaging…very nice. One thing I wish this unit had, is a separate “effects mode” footswitch (you have to bend down and throw the switch, or kick it to change effects modes). This won’t be a real problem for me as I plan to use it in Chorus mode 99% of the time anyways, but I needed something to complain about.

Note, this is not a true bypass pedal, but doesn’t seem to suffer from that at all. The bypass in this box was done well…

I’ve heard that a lot of people don’t care for the Flanger in this box, but I think it actually sounds pretty good “when used subtly”. I found a nice smooth Flange sound that I liked with the controls set “Speed = 2.5, Intensity = 3, Width = 4”. This is not an intense Flanger by any means, but if you are like me and just like a hint of Flange…it sounds pretty good. Having said all of that, I will probably use this pedal as a straight ahead Chorus, and seldom use the Flanger.

When I set it up for Pitch Mod, I just never really found a sound I thought I could ever use. This may be a cool effect for a Guitar player, but for me at least, I don’t think I would ever use it. Sorry but I didn’t really spend any time with Pitch Mod mode…lol

Bottom Line: Great sounding Chorus, decent subtle Flanger but not for someone who wants heavy thick Flange, Pitch Mod is (at least for me) an effect I will probably never use…I have put this on my board, and will use it as my gigging Chorus…maybe throw the Flanger on from time to time.

19. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Excellent, cheers! I'll have to pick one up.

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have the non-bass specific Boss Chorus Ensemble (CE-something, it is the current model) and it is turned on all the time. Sounds great and much better than any bass chorus I have heard.