1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'Chorusy' E string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cochise, Mar 24, 2009.


  1. My Warwick Corvette 4 has a chorus like effect whan playing the E string. It's particularly noticeable when the string is played open. I've tried new strings, checked the relief and adjusted the pups up and down but I can't seem to get rid of it. I searched before posting but mainly got threads relating to effects pedals. Any ideas? TIA

    Peace

    Kurt
     
  2. JLS

    JLS

    Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Bad string.
     
  3. .

    I thought that. That's why I changed them. Still got the same problem though. I'll try another set. I read that if you have the pups too high that can cause problems, but mine are active so should have a weak magnetic field anyways. I can normally solve most problems and do my own setups but this is really frustrating me.

    Peace

    Kurt
     
  4. I had a similar thing going on w/my Jazz 5, except it was on the G. I'd also describe it more as like a phaser. It was very subtle, and being on the G, it tended to only be *there* when I went high. I actually liked it- but again- it was pretty subtle. It was also pretty consistent through at least two string changes, but disappeared after I shimmed the back of the neck pocket(increasing the neck angle so as to slightly increase the distance between bridge & nut; this allowed the previously-all-the-way-back B string saddle to intonate properly- not sure why the *effect* went away).
     
  5. XylemBassGuitar

    XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

    Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    How is the intonation on that bass Cochise?

    You might take a look at the saddle and nut slots of the E-string. Make sure the string is seated properly in the slots, not too loose or too tight.
     
  6. Make sure when you are putting the string on the bass you are not twisting it at all.
     
  7. ghiadub

    ghiadub Supporting Member

    Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    +1

    I have had this happen a few times and tracked it to me twisting the string when I put it on.
     
  8. 60bass

    60bass Supporting Member

    Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Another +1

    Make sure you DON'T manually wind the string by hand around the post. Let the tuning key take the string around the post, keeping a "slight" tension on the string. Just enough tension to keep the windings straight and making sure the string doesn't twist.

    If you do it by hand the windings can get twisted on the core. I've removed the string and re-wound it using the key and it's cured that problem 95 % of the time. The other 5 %, the string was shot.

    I wound strings by hand for over 15 years without a problem till one day I had the chorusy thing happen. Now I only use the key to wind.

    Hope this helps :bassist:
     
  9. GG7

    GG7

    Mar 14, 2013
    I've got this problem with a JB62SS Mini Jazz Bass on the open "E" string and was curious as to what would cause this effect. Still running on the factory set of D'Addario EXL170S so somehow the factory installation must have twisted the "E" on this bass somehow.

    Glad to know it is likely just a twisted string and not something more serious. The other three JB62SS in my collection sound perfectly solid on the open "E" and all other strings too.

    No one I asked locally had an answer for me, so once again TB saves the day! :D
     
  10. 20db pad

    20db pad

    Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    If you replace the E string and the same thing happens, it's usually because the pickups are too close to the string, causing magnetic interference with the string's natural vibration.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.