1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Chorusy / tremolo-y" notes on G string.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by d180fuzz, Mar 4, 2013.

1. d180fuzz

d180fuzz C21H30O2

Jul 10, 2008
    West Los, CA
    Greetings, all. I picked up a Squier VM '77 Jazz here recently, and it's just fine for the most part, but I eventually began to notice that notes on the G string have a sort-of "chorusy" sound to them near the nut and progressively get more "tremolo-y" as I go higher on the neck, such that by the 12th fret, it sounds as though I'm running through a tremolo pedal with the speed set pretty high. FTR - I'm tuned in "D-standard" (whole neck down-tuned a full step) and the bass is intonated for this tuning. I don't notice this issue with any other string.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks for your time and assistance.

2. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Pickups too close to the strings? Try lowering them a bit at a time on the G string side.

3. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    You probably have a twisted string. Try loosening the string to release any twisting/tension. If the ball end rotates when you loosen the string, that's a good sign it was twisted. Re-tune and see if the chorus goes away or is at least reduced. The problem is that once a string is twisted and played for awhile, the string core can separate from the outer wrap making the chorus effect permanent. In that case the string needs to be replaced.

Once you fix the chorus problem check your pickup height as klaus suggested to avoid getting any pulsing effects in the upper register.

4. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Great idea! Why didn't I think of that!

5. d180fuzz

d180fuzz C21H30O2

Jul 10, 2008
    West Los, CA
    Great suggestions, folks - thanks! I'll give them a try and report back.