Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chose Geddy Lee Over SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by honeyboy, Feb 18, 2005.

1. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I had some extra gig money burning a hole in my pocket so I went down to the nearest Guitar Center(30 day return policy). I was originally deciding between an active or passive SUB but on a whim I had them get me a Geddy Lee from a different store to see how that was. It came in the next day. I checked the body condition for scratches, checked the neck and relief for any malformations, and plugged it in to an inexpensive Behringer 3000T which is my practice amp.Tone was as rich as people have been saying on this website since they first came out.I started really liking this bass.The tuner on the G string had alot of play, like others had noticed and but other than that, it felt like my next bass. They were nice enough to throw in a free SKB case so for $650.00 I walked out a happy man- at least until the next purchase.
    It's got some great sounding vintage type pickups with cloth wiring, event the control cavity has copper foil shielding in it. I needed to intonate it and set the pickup height lower but the neck relief was fine.The fret wires are a bit sharp feeling along the G side of the neck but this can be polished off- it really doesn't require much but I prefer a totally smooth feel.Unless something comes up, like neck problems, this is definitely a keeper. I searched this forum for all related articles on the Geddy Bass before I bought.
    Apparently Schaller makes a replacement tuner for $95.00. (TK081-001). Are these the way to go or does Fender make a replacement too? What did you folks use to replace your tuners?

2. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA

i'd have to disagree....

3. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    I dont, i own both (sub 5 active actually) and i have to say the geddy is miles better

Tone, geddy. Looks, geddy. Feel, geddy. Value, Geddy.

ya, im not gonna make a big long post so, in short, geddy>sub

4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Quote: "Apparently Schaller makes a replacement tuner for $95.00. (TK081-001). Are these the way to go or does Fender make a replacement too? What did you folks use to replace your tuners?"

I replace mine with Hipshot American Classics. I have no complaints about them - they are a great tuner...rock solid.
    I got mine through www.bestbassgear.com and got a good deal and great service. They are also the pickups forum sponsor at TB. Like to keep it in the family, ya know??

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I find there's no real need to replace the tuners. They feel a bit too easy to turn but keep tune pretty fine.

6. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I had a Geddy and the tuners felt a little flimsy, but held tune as good as any. Great bass, extremely high quality, awesome looks, very competitive price.
    Congrats---you'll love it.

Andrew

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Great purchase... I own both and I too prefer the Geddy!

Geddy>SUB ;)

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Geddy all the way over the SUB...good choice.

I've got a couple of basses with Schaller tuners and they work very well. They are my second choice in hardware but Hipshot is still a much better product in my book.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1, tho I will add that SUBs are cool.

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 They feel just exactly like the old tuners Fender used to use, which are not nearly as nice as today's stuff, but they do in fact work just fine... at least for me. While I did rewire mine to be PVT instead of VVT for my own convenience, and swap the pickups out to lose the hum (but keep the same tone!!!), I'm leavin' the tuners alone except MAYBE to add a HS detuner. :)

12. I even liked a Standard MIM Jazz better than the SUB.

13. I havent played the Geddy but from what i hear it has a pretty sweet vintage sound. I would like that bass except i dont like jazz necks thats the reason im looking into an SUB 5.

14. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    Well, I went and bought some Schallers today before I read all these replies and put them on. Much better quality and I got them for $60.00 at the Bass Place in Scottsdale, AZ. Great people over there. The originals had about a 1/8th inch play in the turn before it even made contact with the screw device. I figure the cost of these just makes up for the free case.
    What I thought was rough fret ends turns out to be abraision from the G string(I have been using flatwouds on my P Bass- and I guess I'm getting soft.)
    I had a chance to play it live at a Blues jam yesterday. I first let the house band bassist play it first so I could hear it from a spectator's point of view. I had her change the different pick-up options and play with the tone as well. It sounds so nice in the mix! I love the tone of those pick-ups!! No buyer's remorse on this one!!