Chow Down! Chowny & Retrovibe Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SgtHulka, Apr 16, 2019.

1. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    Time for a Chowny and Retrovibe by Chowny bass club! I guess there are more people now with these basses so please post yours. Honored to start it based on @B-Mac 's suggestion. Chowny Bass | Official Home of Chowny Bass Guitars

If you are looking to learn the difference between Chowny and Retrovibe, click here.

I'll take #1. :D Let me know if you need a number!

Members:
    #1 (Founder) Beefpie84
    #2 B-Mac - Volante
    #3 Bgrant570
    #4 4$$
    #5 JohandeJong
    #6 Alan Scharrer (reserved)
    #7 5hwnmdn (reserved)
    #8 Morrighan - CHB-1
    #9 MrVanilla - SWB Pro

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  2. SgtHulka

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
  3. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I didn't realize 'Retrovibe' was another 'brand' now being made by Chowny. Interesting.

Here's my soon to be 'Retrovibe' by CHOWNY Volante.
    Picture from website..I'll post pix when mine actually arrives.
    001.jpg
    Should have it in about two weeks with a little something different about it.

Dealing with 'Steve' @chowny was so pleasant.

I'd ask for a number, but I think I should wait until I actually have this delivered. I'd feel like I was butting in line.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  4. SgtHulka

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    Perhaps he can chime in directly, but Retrovibe is their "in house" design team/custom shop. I think Retrovibe had their own manufacturing prior to Chowny and both have their own designs. I believe they share premises space. One of the nice things is that they setup and inspect all their basses there, and are experts at it. They are a small shop. I also think that for a small upcharge, they will make any reasonable change you want prior to shipping it out. I am not sure what the range of those services are but if it is within their power they will do it.

5. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

giving this a bump

6. I don't think Dave Konig is a member of TB,hardly ever posts on UK forums :) Mr-K is busy enough playing bass these days to have little time for talking :thumbsup:

Nice to see both Stephen and David's hard work getting some appreciation on TB

7. CHO-VAN-BLK (1).png This with the previously pictured Jazz type neck with black blocks. GAS list for sure.

8. bgrant570

bgrant570

Aug 9, 2017
    I've had my SWB-1 for a year or two. Strung with D'Addario flats. Love it! Guess I'll take a number? This will be my first "group" on TB.
    IMG_4872.JPG

9. This is my SWB-1 passive TBS. On the picture with the old pick-ups but i swapped them for the Chowny X pick-ups. Love this bass! 20180704_132949.jpg 20180704_132826.jpg

10. This was my collection in september 2018. Changed a lot since then. Sold the Epiphone, the Taranaki bass, the Fender fretless Jazz bass and the creme SWB-1. Bought an Ibanez SRC6 and an Ibanez SRF700.
    I don't sell the remaining 2 Chowny SWB's. I switched necks from the black SWB-1 (that was the fretless) and the SWB Pro walnut. I replaced the pickups of the black SWB-1 with DiMarzio pickups. Later I added a NOLL Pre-amp to make it active. I replaced the switches of both remaining Chowny's with a blend potmeter.
    I think I can get a member number?
    IMG_3681.JPG

11. Mine still in process but waiting anxiously like a kid on Christmas Eve

TCaetano, Morrighan and B-Mac like this.
  12. Missing a photo of my Vantage 5'er so it's just the RV-4,Super-P,Zygote and Evo.
    Retrovibe RV4 (2).jpg Super P (1).jpg Zygote 2.jpg Retro EVO.jpg

Morrighan, B-Mac and BeefPie84 like this.
  13. Aye,the Zygote has it's own vibe going on :) If memory is correct only 24 were made,12 in red and 12 in black.

14. Very cool. I've never heard of these bass's before. I'm guessing they are very Stingrayish in sound.

15. The Evo with the Stinger preamp is very close :)

16. SgtHulka

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    You sir, are #3!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    bgrant570 likes this.
  17. SgtHulka

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    Member #4!

You are #5, to stay alive!

Gorgeous basses and I absolutely LOVE the head stock design on those.

18. SgtHulka

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    Let me know if you need a number!

Also you @kodiakblair

Alan Scharrer likes this.
  19. Beef pie please number me for life

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021