1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chowny Fuzzster bass pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rob_thebassman, Jan 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    This newish bass guitar company have released a fuzz pedal. Here it is

BadExample likes this.
  2. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    fizzy fuzz?

3. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I like that! :thumbsup:

4. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp

I forget which discount effects company just came out with those pedals. It's those pedals rebranded with a custom algorithm inside, or at least it looks like it. I'll find the pedal company.

Fat Freddy likes this.
  5. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Found it, those basically look like rebranded non stereo Hottone XTomp pedals. Same enclosure thickness, same footswitch. Illuminated knobs scheme, just different knobs and 4 instead of 6. They probably manufacture them.

Fat Freddy likes this.
  6. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Does sound a nice fuzz though :p

7. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Yeah, they might. And, look, I am not knocking them for using what looks like an externally manufactured platform. Tons of effects makers use the same digital ICs right now to make all kinds of cool effects. If a company like Hottone opens up a platform like this, it's just cooler/better/more fun for the customers.

8. chowny

chowny Commercial User

Mar 22, 2013
    Official Chowny Representative
    Hello :)

Thanks for taking interest. Here's a bit of history :

When we decided to branch out into pedals, we approached as many UK based Boutique pedal makers as possible. I let them know roughly what kind of sound I was after, and what pedals I liked.

After talks with some of them I ended up getting two to make me prototype pedals. I still have these in pride of place in my bass room :)

Finally I picked one, and we've worked out a license deal with the pedal designer, and I then set out finding a manufacturer who could bring it in at roughly the price level we were hoping to hit.

So here are the things to take away

1. Designed right here in the UK
    2. It's an analogue circuit.
    3. Mostly our design from scratch (the pedal was heavily based on a certain green russian fuzz pedal with some tweaks and extras)
    4. All artwork and stuff is done here in the UK - the pedals arrive blank and we do all that stuff here.

We've got some more pedals on the way (Compression, Octave etc)

Thanks a lot! :D

- Stephen

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  9. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    It's so flat and sleek - what a nice enclosure design - might need to put it up on a riser if it's next to "taller" pedals =0) The graphic rocks too.

Not a bad sound; if I were after a muff style fuzz i'd look into it.

chowny likes this.
  10. chowny

chowny Commercial User

Mar 22, 2013
    FYI. This gives you a better rundown of the pedal and functionality:

Qlanq likes this.
  11. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I gotta tell you, whatever settings Scott was using in the opening of that video, man, that sounded fantastic. Nice little touches on the pedal's presentation also, like the lit ring around the switch and the lit knob markers (I assume just clear plastic allowing the light from the switch LED to show through? or are the knobs actually lit independently?)

The clean blend sounds very "separated" at lower fuzz volumes, but seems to go together alright as you raise the volume and/or darken the tone.

How much will these retail for? Might wanna try it.

12. chowny

chowny Commercial User

Mar 22, 2013
    £49.99 (58.72 Euro or 63.09 US$ roughly depending on exchange rates) and available towards the tail end of Feb.

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i like mine a lot, but i found it to be a too scooped with the tone backed off from fully clockwise and too dark/muddy at 12:00 and below so i modded mine for flat mids and i love it. after looking inside of it, it's definitely big muff based using four BC549 transistors. it also has a relayed true bypass. IMO, this pedal is a real bargain.

Nunovsky and woodyng2 like this.
  14. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    is it Ric?!

15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Driven Crane likes this.
  16. VitalyGanja

VitalyGanja

Mar 16, 2015
    You can also check my in-depth review of this pedal :)

17. Reascot

Reascot

Jun 19, 2017
    Bump.
    It's been a while, but i'm wondering if anyone has any more experience of using this pedal.
    I'm actually playing guitar, but I'm looking for a fuzz with a blend knob. This seems to fit the bill perfectly. Are there any mids or is it like a Big Muff Pi? How does it compare to other muffs?
    Thanks.