1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chowny SW-1 - Review Mixed Feelings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aigre-Doux, May 4, 2019.

1. Aigre-Doux

Aigre-Doux

Nov 1, 2018
    Hello, after asking for some advice here i bought a Chowny SWB-1.
    The bass came 3 months late, Chowny had delays and Gears4Music has been a terrible communicator. They announced 1-2 weeks for shipping (without asking to Chowny) and it was clearly not realistic.

When the bass arrived, at first i was impressed, the thing is very confortable to play, sounds great.
    The EMG Pre-amp is very impressive, and gives a great variety of sounds.

But i think the quality control maybe a bit off.
    Two screw to set the saddles for intonation on the E and A strings are stuck.
    The allen key (1.5) doesn't grip the screw, it just spins. I've tried a bigger one but doesn't work to.

And of course like it wasn't enough trouble i got an high fret on the 15th. It rattles like crazy just on this spot of the G string. To make sure i wasn't making up things in my head, i made an homemade fret rocker. The thing is clearly higher than the others.

I tried to correct it by rising the action, now it's twice as high as all other strings and it keeps rattling if i dig in...

I really enjoy this bass when it works fine. I'm in France and it seems really a bad idea to send it back to UK, i may end up waiting another 3 months without any instrument to play.

2. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Banned Supporting Member

Why didn’t you just deal directly with @chowny ?

I just did that very thing with a purchase of the Retrovibe by Chowny Volante with a very wonderful buying experience and awesome playing bass

3. Aigre-Doux

Aigre-Doux

Nov 1, 2018
    Im currently trying to deal with them directly.
    But i've been waiting for a week now for a response.
    And knowing their activity here, i can bet they're going to answer to this thread too.

4. chowny

chowny Commercial User

Mar 22, 2013
    Official Chowny Representative
    Apologies.

We are only a small company. Our luthier services are outsourced. As I said to you in the email I am waiting for a response from them. But they can get a little busy and backlogged.

It is very difficult to try and diagnose a problem like this via email.

If you like you can take it to a local luthier to look at, and as it’s under warranty we will cover any costs incurred. It seems the fastest way to deal with it.

5. Aigre-Doux

Aigre-Doux

Nov 1, 2018
    Well that was quick.
    For sure you guys work hard, it's like 1 or 2 AM in the UK right now and you guys are responding to whiners like me on forums (i feel kinda bad right now :'3)
    Well its seems a good deal to go to a local luthier and the come back to you.

sirviceman1 likes this.