Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chris Bardolph jazz bass of doom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    When my fretless bass is done I'm gonna make a jazz bass, but I decided to cut the horns slightly differently and use a custom pickguard with no metal plate. My problem is coming with a color scheme, so let me know what you think.

2. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    The colors look good but, where the control plate should be; the Pickguard looks to "thick". trim it down some more (almost P-bass like).

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Ok, here's the 2nd version with a slightly thinner pickguard section and matching headstock.

4. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Looks very good! I like the second version a lot more (I'm not too sure about the matching headstick though). nice work

5. I personally prefer the 1st one. Very nice design! I love the classic Fender look, and you just made a very nice twist on it. Lookin good!

6. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I think you're right about the natural headstock looking better. Those pickups would actually be painted white too. I'm not totally sure on the color for the body, but I know I want a black pickguard.

7. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Make the neck pickup match the body and the bridge pickup black :)

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Is it BROWN? I Thought it was deep red with black guard... hmm these end-of-semester tests and examsare taking my wits, but it looks like they took my sight, too!! :eek: :( :D well ok so much reading those big and thick books for the exams is bad for the eye... but i am addicted to TB and dont want to rest them! :D

9. looks great. pick guad an all. i think you should make the hardware gold with black pickups though. keep the matching headstock