Chris Botti's New CD Equals Pure Romance

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

For the one or two of you here who may be in search of the perfect romantic album, 42-year old trumpeter Chris Botti's newest CD and, by far his best, more than fills the bill.

The CD, "When I Fall in Love" has just been named the most ordered of all genres at Ordinarily, I would never recommend a CD for that very reason, but evidently Botti has struck a chord with those who want romantic music, a much neglected area.

Chris Botti, who looks like a cross between Jude Law and a young Sting, has in fact toured with Sting's band and is currently opening for Sting's European tour with his own band.

He is backed by A-list musicians such as one of my favorite bassists, Brian Bromberg, plus Paulinho Da Costa on percussion, Jeff Lorber on keys, Vinnie Calaiuta on drums, and on some songs the London Session Orchestra. Sting and Paula Cole lend vocals on two songs.

The songs are mostly great American songbook selections such as "The Nearness of You" and "Someone to Watch Over Me." My personal favorite is "When I Fall in Love", but Sting's "La Belle Dame Sand Regrets" is growing on me.

Reading over customer reviews of the album, most gave it high praise, but one said Artural Sandoval is a superior trumpeter. I say Arturo Sandoval is a distinctly different trumpeter. Miles Davis is a superior trumpeter, too. Botti has never gone for that style of play. If you are looking for that style, don't buy a Botti CD. He just doesn't serve that audience.

But there is one audience he serves perhaps better than any trumpeter today (Sorry, Rick Braun fans) and that is the soft or smooth jazz crowd, of which I am one. Botti plays with tremendous feeling. I love his phrasing and his dynamics. He truly brings the music on this CD to life. I am reminded of another popular trumpeter from the 1940s and 50s, Harry James.

Yes, being of the feminine gender, I probably do like this album more than most men would, but I am telling you guys if you want to impress your girlfriends or wives, this is one gorgeous Cd for that romantic evening or dinner. That said, my brother-n-law, as macho a guy as any man, was so impressed when I played this at a recent cookout, that he bought it too. See, even guys can appreciate true romance.

I've added this CD to Diana Krall's "The Look of Love" as CDs to play when I want soothing, peaceful, luscious music.

(By the way, Botti has a Christmas CD, "December" made two years ago that is enjoyable, but one can really hear his growth as a musician when one listens to "December" and his latest CD back to back. The growth has been in being able to play with even greater feeling. That may reflect his own personal maturation and experience as much as greater experience musically.)
  2. Awesome! Thanks for the review. I love Botti's work. :)
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I hope you are serious and not just joking. I posted this hoping someone would care. When days passed and no one replied, I wondered why I bothered. I'm not sure if the smiley face means you are laughing at me or you really are happy about the review. Hopefully, it is the latter.

Surely, though, there must be some people at TalkBass who would appreciate an album such as Chris Botti's latest. It is a beautiful CD. I like heavy metal, too, but there are times when I do like relaxing music.
  4. haha, I'm serious. I do enjoy his playing.
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Hmm. I saw an ad for this on TV, and it was really cheesy. Really cheesy. All I know Chris from is B.L.U.E., and so I was pretty shocked to hear what sounded (to me, in the commercial) like elevator music. Hmm.