1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chris Buck doing work on a Carvin B4!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Oct 9, 2009.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I was looking at Carvin's site and saw this video with Chris Buck playing bass. This is the first time i've heard of him.

Has anyone else heard of him? His playing isn't my style, but I have to give him props!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    So much for Carvins not having a good tone.:D

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    agreed!

4. Huh. I didn't like the sound of that at all. I really don't like slap when the bridge pup is dialed up louder than the neck pup, which is how it sounds to me...Good players though.
    I'd like to hear it again with both pups equal, or with a slight emphasis on the neck pup.

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

That bass has a great tone!. I hated the guitar sound, though. Too sterile and flat with no b@lls.

6. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    Here is some more info on that bass:

It sounds pretty modern to me, maybe because of the ash body and active electronics. I would love to try some Carvin basses out.

7. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
  8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I also notice that the B4/B5 basses are conspicuously missing from the latest Carvin catalog. I just checked and it looks like they're still available online but I wonder what it means that they're absent from the catalog.

9. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I remember my first trip to the Carvin store in Hollywood. :D I played about 5 basses that I could have easily taken home. Good prices too.

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    they're in the catalog I just received a few days ago.

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Nice to see some old guys who aren't in crappy physical shape!...playing wise and generally!

12. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    So true, I do believe my next bass will be a Carvin.

13. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Like I said - I totally regret selling both of the carvin basses I have owned. I want to be back into one someday.

14. eastcoasteddie

Carvin is starting to phase out the old B4 and B5 basses. Once all their parts (bodies, necks, Hipshot B bridges and electronics) are gone, that's it, they're gone. Once that happens, the B40/B50 will eventually show up in Kit form like the BK5A...and there's been some talk of the SB series doing that as well....but it isn't a definite.

15. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Not my cup of tea, but DAMN that guy smokes on that bass! Very clean and inventive technique!

Oh, and the bass....as a proud owner of a carvin, I have never understood what people said when they don't like the PUPs....I have never changed mine or done any mods on my LB76..and it sounds great! (if you like a real hi-fi and smooth sound)..

16. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I have a B4 and an ICON, and will have a SB 5000. Great basses.

The B4 is sitting on a stand looking at me right now.

B4Body.

B4back.

17. eastcoasteddie

I'm still wanting to get a B5....or an SB5000 can't decide...

18. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Wow! Im not a fan of either progressive metal/rock, or Carvins, but if theyre all like that, Ill change my mind! And quick!

19. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Dang, how'd you find that out?

Awesome looking bass. Is that alder or ash?

As you should. ;)