Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chris Chaney, of Jane's Addiction.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Aaren Double J, Apr 30, 2003.

1. I was just listening to a bootleg of Jane's Addiction at the 2002 Reading Festival, and I really like this guy's pick tone. Not surprising really, since he uses Aguilar amplifiers and Lakland basses (I think).

Although when I saw them at Leeds he used a schweeeeeet J-bass.

Jut wondered how highly you learned scholars of Bass-dom rate him. I think he's fitted into Jane's Addiction nicely.

[​IMG]

2. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    I have to admit that I haven't listened to too many songs by Jane's Addiction, but he seems to fit in really well. I'm particularily fond of the bassline to "Obvious". Catchy, haunted me for days ;)

3. Hipnotic

Hipnotic

Feb 26, 2002
    CT/NY U.S.A.
    Chris Chaney played with Alanis Morrisette for a while. I noticed him right away and liked his style, I think he'll be a great fit to Jane's. I have to agree with CytreX, "Obvious" has a great groove. Most Jane's basslines were infectious to me when I started playing. I always liked "Stop" and "3 days". He's also on the Sadowsky website so I I'm guessing he uses Sadowskys as well as Laklands depending on the gig.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Can someone tell me what happened to Eric A? I'm a long time JA fan and I liked his playing and, as a "JA purist", I wish he was still in the band.

What happened?

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Eric is playing with Alanis now......a little bass swapping;) He is on Alanis new live DVD....both Eric & Chris are excellent players.

6. I believe that Eric.A associates the Jane's experience with his time as a drug addict and doesn't want to revisit that chapter of his past. More fool him, if you ask me.

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Eric Avery was also of the opinion that JA was done with the first time they broke up, and that to keep getting back together with only two guys outta the original lineup was flaky. Kinda like JP Jones' attitude towards Led Zeppelin.

FWIW, he's not *just* ALanis's bassist these days;)

8. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Well, the current Jane's is 3/4 of the original lineup, with Perry Farrell, Dave Navarro and Stephen Perkins from the old days. Looks like they have a new record deal now, so "Hypersonic" should see the light of day soon.

I saw the new line-up twice last year, once at the Forum, Kentish Town (amazing gig - I've never felt so much love for a band at a gig before) and at Reading and Chris Chaney is a great player - he cops the pick feel of the old stuff, and has some great fingerstyle grooves on the new stuff.

I really rated Flea's playing with them when he did their "relapse" tour in '97 as well...

Russ :bassist: