Chris Fitzgerald Worship post

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jazzbo, Aug 8, 2001.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, here's the bummer, DURRL doesn't have any songs posted in his signature, or any other public place that I know of, but as I was listening to some of his stuff last night, I realized, "Hey, I'm out of ice cream." Then, after I got some ice cream from the store, I thought that Chris needed a worship post himself.

First, it's not like he needs his ego fed. I mean, c'mon, we all know what an arrogant ba**ar* he can be! But, since JT has a worship thread, deservedly so, I figure it's high time we call DURRL out on the truly BADASS BASSPLAYER that he is. True, he plays the bassfiddle, not the real bass canoe us virtuosoes over on the BG side of the board play, but I think it's time to coerce DURRL into representin'.

So, what's up DURRL?! Post something for all of us, cuz I've heard your music, and you KICK ASS! Truly inspirational.

And just think, he's really a piano player! :eek:
  2. I've had the pleasure of being at the receiving end of DURRL's "Johnson Chronicles (I)" and I have to tell you, the man is tops! Great bass player and great music (straight-ahead jazz). Now I await his purchase of a toybass and, hopefully, some more tunes from Chris (DA DURRL) Fitzgerald.

Chris - if you like, I can put a sample of one of your tunes up for others to hear.

Jazzbo- Where can we find your stuff?
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The Johnson Chronicles have actually really helped me as a musician. Great ideas and really influential music. Chris is clearly a highly accomplished bassist, and I think even more importantly, an exceptional musician.

Boy do I hope he takes you up on the offer. Especially his recording of Monk's "I Mean You."

....Underneath week old chow mein in the garbage bin behind a trashy Chinese restaurant in a bad ghetto, where it belongs! :)

The only recorded stuff I have is a demo for a pop cover band, and some year old, raw, rehearsal tapes from an originals band. I'm looking to record some jazz stuff in the next 3 months. Unfortunately, Chris has heard a little bit, and for some reason, he'll still talk to me. Further testament of his character!

I did mess with Cool Edit Pro to get some snippets, but I only have the demo version from Cnet, I really need to purchase the full version.
  4. check the sig out.

Chris is my hero
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i got my copy of the johnson chronicles right as i returned from the namm show. after a long weekend of spanky-lame-o widdle-dee-dee at 120 dB's, chris's stuff was just what the doctor ordered - some nice, good, real music. it's in rotation on my 5 disc changer.

now all i need is someone to argue with :D
  6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Damn! He has a cd too?? Now I know about at least 4 guys here that have (or WILL HAVE (JT)) cd´s I HAVE TO buy but I can´t have:(
    But I do believe he deserves a worship post:)
    And one last thing..Talkbass just keeps getting better and better!!
  7. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Well, like Jazzbo says, the majority of us haven't had the pleasure of hearing Chris play his antique bass (don't worry, DURRL, stick to this side of the board and you'll be slapping like Flea in no time! :eek:;)), but seeing as this is his worship thread I've got to give him his dues for the wit and wisdom that are eshrined in his posts - it's obvious that he has been taught well in the ways of the Fuqua.

And, as Phreaky says, another CD is added to the Talkbass list...
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

You know, when I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was, "Damn, the world's coming to an end, and I had so much more stuff I still wanted to do!"

Thanks for the compliments everybody...I see myself as being on the beginning of what I hope will be a very long path. I'm very grateful to have "found" the DB after all these years (It feels like a real voice), and I can't wait to get my hands on that 6 string I'll be getting as soon as my wife and I are BOTH gainfully employed again (she's waiting on a counteroffer at the moment....). This site has been a fantastic experience on both sides of the board, and I'm having a ball being a part of it.

Although I must say, I find myself greatly amused by the different responses from the BG and DB contingents...down in the castle I get replies from folks who listen to that stuff, and they are suggestions about things I might want to do to sound better in the future. Up here, totally out of the blue, I find this thread. Both responses are completely cool. I like it!

Xavier - if you want/are willing to post a link to anything from that CD (nobody should be too impressed that I have a CD - it was made in my living room and none of the material was's all just impromptu "session recordings", hence the name), go ahead and do your worst with my blessings. I only apologize that the songs are all so damn long. Pick whatever you want, or a piece of whatever you want, I won't complain about what goes up. I'd be grateful to have it available. One of these days, I'm gonna have to learn how to do that. Probably AFTER I get a faster computer. Which won't be until AFTER I get that 6 string. Which won't be until get the picture.

Speaking of not knowing how to do stuff, why does the new text format erase whatever comes after when you press the space bar? Maybe I'm just a crusty old TECHNO DUMMY, but it makes it really hard to clean up my posts. Anyway, thanks for the kind words everybody...I'm blushing, but honestly, compliments are never a bad thing.

9. Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to present Mr. Chris Fitzgerald on bass -

Lucky Southern (excerpt) - 1.7MB mp3 audio.

....FOR A LIMITED TIME....
    Get the full tune (Lucky Southern) HERE - It's 6.5MB so I hope you have a fast connection!
  10. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    It sounds like you might have the Insert mode on - try pressing the Insert key on your keyboard.

I've downloaded the excerpt, thanks to Xavier, and I agree with what he says - great straight jazz. Just wondering Chris, are you comping yourself on the piano?
  11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Thanks for posting the link! Due to the fact that either I or my computer is a moron, I couldn't get it to play more than 4.7 seconds, but apparently it's working for the more cyber-savvy folks in the neighborhood. Of course, I should have realized that I was a MORON sooner - I mean, after all, STUDIOASSPLAYER already told me that about a week ago, didn't he? Ah, how quickly we forget....

Yawnsie, thanks for the advice. You have indeed diagnosed the problem correctly, and now it is fixed. Whew! That's a relief....that was getting really annoying. As far as the piano playing goes, on that track my friend Todd Hildreth was playing the piano. One of the main reasons I was happy enough with that CD to send it around was the stellar playing of some of my good friends. I am truly lucky to have those guys around. In fact (for those of you who got the CD) two of those guys are members of the new "Fusionesque" band I joined last month. They're called "Java Men", and I believe they have a website up with some MP3's on it from a couple of their CD's. I'm not on any of that stuff, but as soon as we get enough new original material together we hope to be heading for the studio.
  12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I´m listening to Lucky Southern right now. It´s wunderbar! I´ve been getting more and more into this type of music lately.