1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chris Potter - Circuits

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dtsamples, Feb 18, 2019.

1. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Anyone listening to this yet? Two tracks have been pre-released and the album comes out 2.22.19. This album is going to be insanely fun.

JRA, Joebone, phillipkregg and 7 others like this.
  2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thank you...I pretty much buy everything Potter.
    ;)

...and Eric Harland is a bad ass.

3. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    If you like Eric Harland's drumming, you'd probably dig Mr. Barrington if you haven't heard them already. Zach Danziger has that same irreverence for time

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I just posted a Krantz-Goines-Danzinger thing for Doc (in his Krantz-Carlock-Lefebvre thread)-

pellomoco14, jerry and dtsamples like this.
  5. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Well then, it seems we have an understanding :laugh:

6. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Very cool track, hadn't heard it. Love Wayne Krantz. His work on that first Tal record was so dope. Any idea what the secret to his strat sound is? He's got that greg howe bouncy basketball sound down to the nth degree

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    OK...I see 3 albums at Amazon (Mister Barrington). All 3 are available for Unlimited Members.
    The 1st tune I tried, "Only A Fool" is a little too electronic for me. If that makes sense.
    What would recommend?

I did see Potter's new one there, too. It's not an Auto-Rip...I prefer hard copies & manually loading into Amazon's Cloud (which I paid). They killed that nicety for me & others in Jan. 2019. For convenience, I may go with the digital download only. God, I hate that!
    ;)

8. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    I'd say that the the first album (eponymous) is probably the most digestible. There are a few tracks like Only a Fool that take a while to grow on you, especially since Oli Rockberger uses that friggin vocoder. But listen to Owen Biddle's work on Wrong Number! They're also really fun together on Interlude One and Mister Barrington's Daydream. I didn't really dig "II", but there were a few cool songs on "Can't Turn Back." Justify was one of them if I recall. But a lot of their stuff is pretty electronic. This new Chris Potter stuff just really harkens to some of the Mister Barrington debut though.

JimK likes this.
  9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No idea...Krantz also did some time with the Chris Potter Underground.

...and with Adam Rogers-

Nate Smith is a bad man. No bassist required.
    ;)

JRA likes this.
  10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thank you...I learned something today. Another band!

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm with Jim, almost everything Chris Potter I check out......ordered.

JimK and dtsamples like this.
  12. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    YASSSS had to dig back into the Mister Barrington stuff but can't wait to check these out.

Side note: that track Wrong Number has got to be some of the most mind melting bass playing I've ever heard

JimK likes this.
  13. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Pat Metheny Unity Group's Kin(<-->) has been on constant repeat on my phone since its release. Chris Potter, PM, Antonio Sanchez, Ben Williams, and I can't remember who the keyboard/multiinstrumentalist is but what a record they put together

JimK likes this.
  14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Potter has taking over the void left in me after the death of Michael Brecker.

J_Bass, Altitude, Joebone and 3 others like this.
  15. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    As much as I miss the Dave Holland Quintet, I always look forward to Potter’s new material. He’s brilliant.

J_Bass, okcrum, JimK and 1 other person like this.
  16. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Haven't checked out any Brecker or Dave Holland actually! What's a good jumping off point for both?

J_Bass likes this.
  17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There's much Holland before his Quintet material...this one just floored me when I first heard it. Easily my favourite Jazz band at the time. Holland, Billy Kilson, Chris Potter, Robin Eubanks, Steve Nelson.
    Potter and Eubanks are ridiculous.
    No chording instrument, per se...maybe Nelson's vibes every so often. Kilson schooled my ass for a few albums. Then Nate Smith took over...

If you want something more "out"...Holland has a plenty of that, too.

okcrum, rashrader and dtsamples like this.
  18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Any chance for me to post a couple by one of my favourite composers, Don Grolnick-
    Brecker is all over these.

JRA, TKenrick, Joebone and 2 others like this.
  19. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Thanks, Jim!

JimK likes this.
  20. dtsamples

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    I wondered who Nate Smith was when he started popping up with the Vulfcrowd and the Fearless Flyers. That project isn't my favorite, really dig the Vulf stuff more, but Nate is no doubt a bad hombre.