Chris Potter's Gratitude

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, May 15, 2005.

1. I just got Chris Potter's c.d. Gratitude this weekend and am happy to report this is a BAD A$$ c.d. I have been listening to Chris for awhile through the Dave Holland Quintet and Big Band but I haven't heard any of his stuff. This is kind of a cool c.d. in that the original tunes he wrote are for the cats that inspired him. The first tune is for Coltrane the next for Henderson and so on. It is a pretty bitchin line up with Brian Blade, Scott Colley, and Kevin Hays on keyboards. I really dig High Noon for Eddie Harris. Check it out!
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    That album's a masterwork IMO. It's in heavy rotation around here.
  3. I would give quite a bit to play with Brian Blade lol. Everything he does on this c.d. and any c.d. adds so much its amazing. The other cats are slouches either.
  4. I got Chris Potter "Lift", and read in an interview that his next album was with an organ player with bass pedals. Any thoughts on that?
  5. Thats what they did on Joshua Redman's Elastic I'm pretty sure. I just know there isn't a bass player on there. If its anything like Elastic I don't mind to much lol. Leaves room for me should they need a hack bass player right?;-)
  6. audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    Potters work with Dave Holland, Steely Dan, Mingus Big Band and his own solo stuff is all top notch... any other recording I shouldn't miss

I saw Brian Blade with Wayne Shorter's quintet at Jazz Fest 03 - with Patitucci on upright. Blade is a monster - the socratic perfect drummer. His setup had large condenser mics and his snare snap is so dynamic. He came out and literally exploded on drums, everyone in the audience was smitten by his playing
  7. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    who made it into a quintet? I only know them as shorter/patitucci/blade/Danilo Perez
  8. Check Potter with Steve Swallow, too. Especially "Deconstructed".
  9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I just saw Chris Potter playing with Paul Motian & Larry Grenadier at the Vanguard on saturday. I haven't listened to any of his records, but his playing is pretty damn good.
  10. Since you mentioned Paul Motian, another excellent example of Potter`s work is Paul Motian`s Electric BeBop Band, the cd Monk and Powell in particular. And also Steve Swallow`s live cd recorded at Ronnie Scott`s , Always pack your suit on top , I think is the title.