Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chris Squire flanger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Is it Chris who uses the flanger on the track "tempus fugit" from the drama album? Is it a stompbox? What brand?

2. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I'm pretty sure it's an Eventide.
    But I've been wrong before.
    Bill

3. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    He talks about it in his instructional video. It's actually built into a custom bass he had made. I'm not sure off-hand who built it for him, but it had several effect built into it including a flanger.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Ok, I went and checked out the video. The bass is an Alvarez Electra he had custom built. It has built in effects modules that he could change for different effects. In the video it had an octaver and a flanger and he said he used it on "Tempus Fugit" and "Cinema."

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks guys! BTW what's the name of the video you have?

5. Sorry, but how can this work??? Effects build into Basses?!! very strange. I also read about a certain Cort Bass - T. M. Stevens Edition, which according to the describtion should have a build in Wah!
    But who do you engage such a thing while playing?...

thank you

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The electronic stuff you need for an effects pedal is right along the same size as a built-in preamp, 9-volt battery and all. I believe the Roger McGuinn signature series Rickenbacker 12-string guitar had a built-in compressor. I've heard of people ripping the guts out of pedals and building them into guitars. Your instrument might have a forest of knobs to contend with, but there ya are. :)

7. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Starlicks Master Sessions with Chris Squire.

8. Actually I believe that was the Elektra bass. It had effects modules that were physical plug ins. Great tune too. :)
    Dirk

9. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    What ever he now had, what would be a good stompbox to get close to that sound? I know they have the boss BF-3 and BF-2B and the Danelectro Hash brown at the local stores, are they any good regarding this sound?

*Edit:* Well i went down to the city and tried them out. BF-3 was not really my thing but the BF-2B is awsome! Flanger, chorus and vibrato in the same pedal! The pedal looks to be in good condition, it seems to be unused :cool:

I talked to my friends at the store who has it and they said i could borrow it over the weekend and then decide, but i think i will get it! Awsome pedal! :cool: