Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chris Squire - Heart Of The Sunrise SOLO MP3!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by remo, Jun 17, 2005.

1. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
  2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    No. It's some kid with a ric and an effects pedal plugged into his computer. He played the song well though.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Well, if that isn't Chris Squire, this guy should work as Yes' backup bassist! This performance is perfect to me and I think the only way that other than Squire could play that line with all those nuances (specially the chords. I studied the tune by ear years ago and never heard all those chords in this bassline) is with an exact note for note transcription by CS himself. To me, this recording is the original bass track of HOTS. If it isn't... I rate this guy's performance as more than excellent.

4. This recording and two others are available on the Chris Squire site, although it doesn't state whether or not Chris recorded them. There are 2 guys who are transcribing each of them, could be one of them playing. It does say that they are (3) "of Chris' more celebrated recordings"... could it be that they are the actual bass tracks on CD that were soloed for the purpose of transcription?

http://chrissquire.com/cs_gallerymain.html

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Can it be done from a CD? I mean, no master tapes, no multitrack sessions, just from the commercial CD recording?

6. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    It's probably the actual bass track from the song; I mean who would go through all the trouble recording just the bassline with no clicktrack or any other instruments, you know? It's fine to learn it but...why record just the bass track?

Also, if a guy were going to redo the thing he might be tempted to run it through a rig similar to Squire's; this is obviously direct in with no amp in sight - maybe the direct out from the amp into the board so they could tweak it into the amp sound.

Great playing though. It never really struck me how buzzy/sloppy Chris's bass is setup.

Man, makes you want to go out and get a Rick and some nylon picks. :)

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Well, the buzzy sound of Chris' bass isn't big news for me. What I enjoyed the most of this performance is how you can have a kinda sloppy performance at times and still sound great because the whole band covers your minor playing faults. There are lots of sympathetic ringing in this recording and that's a great thing to show to many recording directors who are a real pain in the a** because of their obsession with absolute cleannless in your playing.