1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chris Squire isolated bass track

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by slugworth, Oct 4, 2006.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    That's a salty groove. Chris Squire reminds me of the tuba lines I would play in Wagner Opera's, powerful and dramatic while shaping the music. His tone is downright evil.

2. very cool!

I am blowing the dust offa my Yes CD's when I get home and going to work!

3. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    FYI - the site in the OP also has standard notation transcriptions for this and two other Yes songs (Tempus Fugit, Siberian Khatru) along with their isolated bass tracks.

4. Thanks for the link - Chris Squire is one of my favorites

5. Chris has always been one of my favs. Thanks for the link! I would love to hear one of 'Sound Chaser'.

Very steady bass playing, only very, very minor timing glitches throughout the entire track. Excellent!

6. It might be him playing, but the tone sounds cleaner than the album's..

Especially right after the fast intro, on that ascending line...it breaks up on the album(and there's even a mis-fretted note there), and it just sounds too clean....

Either way, it is nice to have those tracks!

7. it really sounds like the original tracks to me.

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Wow, that just made my day, thanks bro!

9. The tone is very different. Don't know if it's Chris playing but it sounds a lot more like his current tone, not a patch on his 'classic' Yes sound, IMHO.

But it's great to hear that wonderful, incredible bassline in isolation; Those chords!

10. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Great Links!!!
    Thanks

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Some very tastey tone going on there!

12. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    FWIW, this excerpt from the site:

"This ongoing transcription project is the conjunction of previous efforts by Lionel Gibaudan and Miguel Falcao and its purpose is to demonstrate Chris' bass lines and translate them to musical notation format."

implies that it's not Chris playing on those tracks.

13. I knew it!!:D

Miguel's website: http://www.johngoodall.com/miguel/images.htm

It was some awesome playing, though!(and the tone was pretty damn good too)

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...good playing, but very obviously...definetly not the "flair" or grind of the originator(Squire)...

~S~

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Having only heard the original once or twice, I was oblivious to the fact it wasn't the same track!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021