Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chris Squire Signature Rick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peaveybassamp88, Jul 2, 2003.

1. I was reading on Chris Squire's (from Yes) webpage that his Rickenbacker (4001 I think) that he kept/used for his whole career had such a different sound because he had the finish/paint/stuff taken off so many times that the bass weighed only about 2/3 as much as an original factory model. He had a signature bass made for by Rickenbacker that was supposed to have the same specs and modifications as his. However, I was at this bass store yesterday and for fun I picked up the Chris Squire (4001CS)in one hand and an almost identical 4001 in the other and felt no difference in weight. Wouldn't you be able to feel a difference of 1/3? I mean, I didn't actually bring a scale with me and weigh them, but the CS actually felt a little bit HEAVIER than the regualr 4001. Anyone else notice this? or is it just me?

-Happy Bassing, thanks for posting

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The legendary Rickenbacker used by Chris Squire is a 1964 4001S, not a 4001. The most obvious differences, at first sight, between these models are the body binding (no binding on the S) and the inlays on the fretboard (triangles on the 4001, dots on the 4001S).

However, the 4001 Chris Squire Limited Edition is very close to Squire's bass, except, specifically, the fact that the finish has not been ripped off.

The body is "complete", so it is normal that the weight is close to that of any standard Rick.

Hope this helps.

3. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    John Hall, the owner of RIC, said:
    "I've never actually weighed Chris' bass but if it's any lighter, it's not readily apparent when you pick it up. It also doesn't appear to be any thinner either.
    If it is lighter, short of extra routing, I honestly don't know where you'd cut down that much weight."

http://www.brunnet.net/rickresource/discus/messages/5/6329.html#POST23758

4. I got that "2/3 weight" stuff right from Chris's official webpage www.chrissquire.com It said:

"It went through so many phases being in certain bands—the flower-power thing. I had wallpaper stuck on it with big colored flowers and stuff like that and then when that year was finished it was like 'take it off.' There was this little Chinese guy in Soho [Sam Lee] that used to do guitar repair and he would go, 'Oh terrible! I better shave it off.'

So by the time anyone ever heard my Rickenbacker bass on the Yes record it had actually been shaved down to about two-thirds of the weight of the regular factory model; she sounded completely different."

I was just curious about this info, because it didn't seem to check out (at least not with the 4001CS model anyways) See what happens when I get bored?! :bassist:

P.S. Anyone have any comments/praise/gripes about the signature model?

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    10 days ago, I was about to finalize a transaction to get one (dated 1991), but the seller finally decided he'd keep it.

The only one I tried once (a looooong time ago) had a great tone. The wood on the fingerboard (African vermillion) has a very particular touch, but not an unpleasant one. A bit hard to explain.

All the best,
    JL

6. Hi to peaveybassamp88. Q 2/3 off his Ric.
    I have just joined this site. HELLO TO ALL. I have been looking to buy a Chris Bass and read a lot about it lately.

Rickenbacker got Chris's bass back to fix a snapped headstock after being thrown across stage or something. They weighed it and it came in at 10% lighter which puts lid on 2/3 story (although right in essence).

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHERE THERE IS ONE FOR SALE FOR ME PLEASE ?????

Thanks and hopes, Peter (in UK)
    downing768@btinternet.com

7. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I'm gonna get killed for this but I saw one a while back at.....oh God...

Ed Roman's in Vegas

Dang it all! I should bever have done that!

8. :help::bassist:

9. Sorry about repeat message, just gettin used to pc thing, novice. I play bass better.
    saw ed roman ad and rang from uk. $5,500. Bit dear that. Well it is in Las Vegas. I'll toss em for it 'heads ao tails.
    Peter UK

10. Several years ago I had the incredible chance to meet Chris and hang out before the show for sound check and dinner. A good friend of mine was drum tech on the tour. I got to see both ricks he had, one the original used on maybe one tune and his custom re-make. The old one was obviously more beaten but it's been refurbed so many times according to Chris, he's really careful with that one. That was his baby and what made his mark in the biz.
    The remake was an absolute custom made bass and if I recall correctly, made as a gift from Rickenbacher. I had my old 70's checker board inlay bass with me and didn't want to seem silly and get it signed, allthough I should have.
    My favorite thing about hanging out was the surprise Marshall 4x12 cab underneath the stage, shooting right up under Anderson. That was the "real" rick sound, cranked through an ancient Marshall tube head and with a mic on it for PA. I was able to get near it and it was incredibly powerfull. :)
    Dirk

11. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    FYI Ed's something of a ripoff artist and a jerk in general. Avoid him like the plague.

On topic, the first Rick I ever tried was a CS at Mannys Music in NY back when it was still really Manny's. Unfortunately it needed a set up and was kinda hard to play.

I just sold my old 4001, I kinda miss it but there was just something that bugged me about it (that specific 4001 not Ricks in general).

~Paul :)

12. :hyper: :bassist:
    Well I am a happy bunny now !!!
    I just secured a CS Ric all the way from USA (I am in UK). Not Ed Roman's and thanks for the tip guys. Private sale at a lovely affordable $2,000. (yes its true !!).
    In preparation for my 'new baby' arriving, where I shall lick it clean every single night before I put it in my bed (and relegate myself to sleeping on the floor to avoid breaking it), what size strings should I get anyone?
    I have 'heard' of folk having to file out the nut to take bigger/medium size rotosounds.
    Can someone advise or correct this myth please ?? I don't have the bass yet and hope Fedex or UPS treat my baby gently whilst I wait sleepless nights for it to arrive.
    I know not what sex it is yet and can't decide what colour to paint it's room yet, or what to name it. Any suggestions.

By the way Dirk Diggler, nice bit of info about meeting Sir Chris, you lucky man. Met him once myself and he gave me a big brotherly hug for photo. I am 5-11 and he towered over me. Big guy and makes the Ric look like a toy, a very nice bloke to talk to as well.
    Peter
    UK

13. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Ooo.. Congrats! please post pics when you get it!

I wouldn't worry about the nut, Ricks are currently shipped with 045-105 strings, pretty much standard guage, I'm willing to bet the CS shipped with the same guages. If you want bigger yeah, you'll probably need to a do a little widening.

Why not name it Chris in honnor of it's dady :)

Got you e-mail by the way :)

Enjoy!

~Paul :)

14. They come in 45 55 75 105 from the factory

I changed to the standard 45 65 85 105, because the A & D strings sounded too thin for me..

Yes, you might have to file slots A & D. ..or do what I did on my 4003, and just slide the strings between them until it fits...

Oh yeah, congrats, and I'm freakin' jealous!(and bass doesn't exist until you post a pic):D

15. Thanks Faithnoman and Paul for strings info, knew I'd heard things along that line.
    :D Yes I will post a pic of it when it arrives. it isn't new by the way as it is a 91ish I think, and it's number is near 350, (imagine having 666 that one would definately be nicknamed the beast).
    I have a hankering to call this Ric 'Sir Chris'
    Will also tell y'all a great story of how I found it 5,000 miles away and no US visa to get it before it went. (You know how hard it is if you have been lookin yourselves.) Persistence and 'no stone unturned' is the name of the game. It wasn't easy and I sweat buckets over it.
    I will also tell you of my 62 Fender P of 35 years, and which had a very very famous owner who recorded a famous ground breaking rock anthem/album with it. He now wants it back and has actually signed it.
    Next installment soon, so don't get too paranoid about waiting. Oops made a booboo there!!:bassist:

16. agplate

agplate

Jan 12, 2005
    New England
    Congrats Maccafan-
    As a fellow owner of two(!) CS's, I can tell you that they are very special basses and certainly different from other rics. The look, the feel and the materials are so solid, and the tone, while not exactly like the original is very classic. They're definitely full weight- in fact one of mine is noticeably heavier than the other. Also, be aware and careful about the finish as it tends to stain- I wear black for gigs sometimes and it easily transferred around the edges. Just one of it's "charms" I guess. The nut is very tight on medium gauge strings, and I have to kind of snap them in on the A and D, though I haven't had the nut filed at all. I would be interested in how wide and thick the neck is on the earlier models and I've heard that they are thinner and a little different than the later ones (mine are from the 750's and 997)

Enjoy it and I hope you can stop staring at it for the first two weeks.

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    My lefty CS:
    [​IMG]

18. Is it just me, or are the strings on backwards?:confused:

19. bfonf

bfonf

Feb 20, 2006
    It's a lefty.