Chris Squire signature Rickenbacker. To restore, or not to restore?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NealBass, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Yes

146 vote(s)
    46.1%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    48.6%
  3. Paint it carrot coloured.

17 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    #365 of 1000. I'm seriously thinking about having it restored. I got a bad cure on the clear coat. The original colour is under the clear.

It plays like a dream (2-4 hours a day for 25 years....).

I figure it would be around $1K - $1.5 K to re-paint it. I know a lot of people like it the way it is. I personally don't care that much, but I'd like to leave it to someone when I die and I'd like it to look nice.

Opinions?

To restore, or not to restore? Hmmmm.

IMG_1851.JPG

IMG_1857b.jpg

IMG_1854b.jpg

IMG_1871.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1887.JPG

IMG_1890.JPG

The real problem is the back. In 1995 (or so), I tried removing the clear coat, but when I started doing the neck, I saw I'd have to do the fretboard, too. So, I stopped.

Now, it looks like this.

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG

IMG_0009.jpg

It's supposed to look like this.

6f8b26713bf4b92a109e1d63267b5de8.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  2. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Wow, that's a tough call. If it plays like a dream I would leave it as is I think. You gamble that neck feel when you refinish the neck.

3. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Thanks. The back of the neck is actually pretty rough, feel-wise. I'd like it to be smooth and it's not. It's not that much of a hindrance, but a new smooth neck-back would be a plus.

4. wagdog

wagdog

Mar 20, 2000
    Der Waffle Haus
    I am so happy to see someone actually playing their Squire. Most of them look like museum pieces. I say leave it as is!

5. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    When I got it in '92, I promised myself I'd learn every Yes piece ever written. I still have trouble with a few, but I got most of them down. :)

(Ritual and Sound Chaser are my problem children.)

6. UserOfTheJack

UserOfTheJack

Nov 9, 2015
    The thing looks very unique the way it is. I'd keep it like that.

7. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    John Hall says Rickenbacker is known for their finishes. Must be user abuse. :smug:

You won't be satisfied until it's refinished. Get on Paul Wilczynski's waiting list, and spend the money to do it right! Then it will be worth bequeathing to someone.

8. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Thanks for the tip. I was going to contact Davis Guitar works, but I'll check out Paul. Any other suggested re-finishers are appreciated!

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I'm guessing Paul is probably more expensive with a longer wait list, but it would be interesting to see what each would charge.

I bought some checkered binding I'd like to have someone put on my 4003, and that means a total refin, so I'm probably in for a rude awakening to see what this stuff really costs.

GtenderG and NealBass like this.
  10. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    I'm guessing I'd want to re-plate the chrome, too? Also, the pick-guard is cracked (I'm blaming my tech for over tightening....).

My poor beater Ric. :(

GtenderG likes this.
  11. I love it as-is

12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Wow, never seen a finish go that wrong, your fault of course! Send photos to John Hall so he can tell you how you screwed it up. I'd refin it, if you never intend to sell it, pimp it up. Faulty finish does not impart valuable mojo in my book, it's not like it's a 50 year old bass. I was a Yes freak from day one, never made it through half the catalog bass-wise. Anything from Relayer or Topographic is nearly unplayable for the average mortal. I remember Squire saying he could barely play some of that.

TN WOODMAN, MCF, AltGrendel and 3 others like this.
  13. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    I contacted Ric back in 2003, or so about a re-finish.

Surprisingly........no reply.

carsbybigd and blindrabbit like this.
  14. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    You don't need to have the chrome re-plated. I had one with worse chrome a year ago that I polished up with some chrome polish, both tuner, bezels and bridge, and it looked great. The tuners still had some wear from years of use where the chrome had actually come off, but if there is chrome there, it'll polish up well. I used this stuff, which you can find at most hardware stores:

Simi Chrome Polish 77552198 - MSC

NealBass likes this.
  15. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I personally would leave it.

If you do refin, maybe consult Pat Wilkins.

tbz and NealBass like this.
  16. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    Also, you can let the screws and bolts sit in some naval jelly for a day or so and then buff those too. Takes the rust and crud off pretty well.

NealBass likes this.
  17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I'm shocked! Shocked I say! Nay, Apalled! I just noticed that yours flaked off finish all around the bridge too, so that's been happening since at least February 26, 1992. John Hall says this problem does not exist (He Hath Spoken!), so you must have gouged it with a screwdriver intentionally. Yep. I'm guessing that pickguard crack could be fixed almost imperceptibly by a talented plastic guy, might be as simple as wicking a little acetone into the crack so it "welds" back together and then polishing just that part of the pickguard to retain the signature. A full refin will be an expensive resto, but worth it long term. That's only going to increase in value. It's good to know that you have other hobbies besides freaking us out with weird basses (one of my favorite threads, BTW).

18. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Rickenbackers' description:

Santa Ana, California (January 1, 1991)

Rickenbacker International Corporation announces the acceptance of orders for the Chris Squire Limited Edition. Squire is best known for his work with the supergroup YES which has been the recipient of a Grammy Award and numerous platinum and gold records. Squire has been considered for many years to be the quintessential rock bass player. Rickenbacker teamed up with Squire to replicate and improve upon his legendary "Rick" bass which he has used to make great music with over the last 30 years. By including the custom modifications requested by Squire, this instrument will be produced with unique features never before offered on a Rickenbacker bass.

The Chris Squire Limited Edition, Model 4001CS, features neck through body construction using solid Eastern Rock Maple, a contoured body, dot inlays, precision tuning keys and Rickenbacker's famous tailpiece/bridge. The neck has been shaped to meet Squire's specifications and match his original bass. The head stock and fingerboard are sculpted from the same piece of solid Vermilion to insure consistency in grain and wood tone. The limited edition is finished in a special cream lacquer to match the custom color Squire commissioned on his own bass from an English luthier in the early 1970's. The Company has never offered this color before. A Rickenbacker vintage case is included with each instrument.

The model will be formally introduced at the 1991 Winter NAMM Show in Anaheim. The Company will manufacture only 1000 of these instruments. Each bass will be accompanied by an individually numbered Certificate of Authenticity and Origin. Production deliveries and certificate numbers will follow order sequence. The suggested list price is US$1899, which includes a hard-shell vintage reissue case.

19. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    Make that April of 1979. Mine had it as well :)

carsbybigd likes this.
  20. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    LOL!
    Cool!
    Thanks. I should get back to that...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021