Chris Squire

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cole, May 15, 2001.

1. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    this is interesting:

Chris Squire appears to be using a Lakland P-bass on Yes's upcoming album. I've never seen him use a P-bass before -- I've seen him with the obligatory Ric, of course, as well as a 70's Jazz, that green Mouridian, an 8-string, and the triple-neck behemoth, but not a P-bass. weird.

there's also a picture of a fretless Warwick on the site, but I don't think that's as interesting as the P-bass. (sorry, Warwick fans)
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, how bizarre.

can you get a feel for how _BIG_ that dude is? i met him at a namm show a few years ago, he's a GIANT. very cool, too, great guy, big influence on me, i love yes.
  3. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    He used to play with a Rickenbacker bass, am I right? And it was pretty nice. And sounded cool...
  4. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    A Ric with a pick when I saw him last year.
  5. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    :eek: WOW!!!! It looks like he's playing a strat g**t*r!!! :D
  6. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    by the way, that "triple neck behemoth that was mentioned earlier is a WAL, custom made in 1973 for Roger Newell of Rick Wakeman's English Rock Ensemble. Chris bought it later, and it is currently (as of 1995) on loan to the Hard Rock Cafe in New York. The three necks offer a four string fretted, four string fretless, and six string fretted, with strings paired in octaves and tuned A-D-G.
  7. Clubber

Clubber Guest

Dec 8, 2001
    Missouri, USA.
    I was wondering how all of you feel about Yes bassist Chris Squire. I'm curious to know your opinions on him....I'd appreciate the feedback.

8. Great bass player. One of the first I really "heard" and one of the reasons I want to play bass (and why I tend to lust over Rickenbacker basses :D)

I actually have a post of me playing Long Distance Runaround on my Jazz bass over in the Recordings forum called "Me..Recorded" its alright, but as those guys pointed out, I need some more work with the Metronome :D at certain parts of the song
  9. Christopher Squire is the father of progressive rock bass period.His use of harmonics on his song "the fish" was very much pre jaco.1972. No one had ever multi tracked bass parts before that.
    Yes is the most amazing rock band i have ever witnessed in my life.I saw them again last year and they were incredible.
    p e a c e
  10. Bo :D Go check out me playing Long Distance Runaround (including me fiddling with The Fish at the end, as it should be) in the recording forum, and let me know what you think :D

Me...Recorded... some advice?
  11. Clubber

Clubber Guest

Dec 8, 2001
    Missouri, USA.
    Hey, thanks, guys, for your replies...For me, Yes is pretty much the most incredible band I have ever seen or heard as well...I am just starting to play bass, and Squier is one of my inspirations....I just wanted to get other bassists' opinions on his playing....Please keep the responses coming :) OH, and HWK2, I am downloading your 'Long Distance Runaround' now....I'll let you know what I think when I hear it :)

Thanks guys....

12. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    He sucks... :D

Yeah, Chris Squire is pretty much "the man" when it comes to prog-rock bass. Between Squire and Paul McCartney, the bass guitar became an instrument that I absolutely had to play. Some of my favorite Chris Squire moments in no particular order:

Heart of the Sunrise
    Starship Trooper
    Roundabout (of course)
    Gates of Delirium
  13. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Christopher Russel Edward Squire, between Paul McCartney and John Entwistle they are the fathers of modern bass.

Paul had all the melodies, John had all the treble and Chris broke all the rules. So you can't go wrong in picking anyone of the three.

But as an example, listen to The Messanger off the Ladder. It is so simple but such a great bass part to add to that song by YES.
  14. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I LOVE Chris a bassist(no smart-ass remarks).
  15. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    One of my favorite players, I love the Yes song "The Messenger" as well. Great tone, he plays some laughably complex basslines while he is singing.
  16. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Chris Squire was one of my main mentors on bass when I started in the 1870's (I mean, 1970's). Check out his excellent solo album, "Fish Out of Water".
  17. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I love that tune " Hold out your hand" off of "Fish out of Water". I saw Yes in concert a couple of years ago and I was blown away. Not only did Chris Squire impress me but Steve Howe and the keyboardist Igor Khorsikov really knocked me out. They ended their concert ,before their encore, with Awaken, and it rocked.
  18. Clubber

Clubber Guest

Dec 8, 2001
    Missouri, USA.

Any idea where I can find that album? I've never seen it anywhere....and thanks again, guys, for your input....

19. 5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    Go to and search for Chris Squire.

I just looked and they have 'Fish Out of Water' and the newer one with Billy Sherwood, 'Conspiracy'.

Well . . . after doing some more checking it looks like they're both on backorder. You may have to special order them. It's worth the wait, though.

Good Luck.
  20. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Chris Squire is one of the masters. Not only does he have great chops, but he has an incredible sense of content. He knows the right place to sit down and go THUMP THUMP THUMP, and he can be defyingly simple (listen to "Leave It" where he uses a simple melodic line through the whole song against the other parts). What drove me nuts about him live is that he would play in one rhythm, sing in another and move in a third.