Chris Squires "Harmonised" sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 5fretless, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Folks,

How would one replicate the sound he used on the Silent wings of Freedom ? Although a harmoniser is stated to be used, I don't hear any third or fifth note harmonies going on - it's more like a chorus/flanging effect if anything......

TIA

Bill

2. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    He might have used the Harmonizer in very small intervalls (Percents) to thicken the sound. It gives a chorus like sound without the modulation / pulsation.

3. Man that album goes down as one of my all time favorite wacky bass tone albums. :)
    Eventide 3000SE would do that sound well, and pretty much any of the stuff from Tormato.
    That album reminds me of the good old times listening to my home system in my Toyota Carolla with a power inverter to power my home system in my little car, great sound, even better album.
    Thanks for the memories.
    Dirk

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Bumping because I'd love to be able to get that tone as well. Anything able to approximate that in pedal form? An EH Q-tron maybe?

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't actually looked into the EH POG or HOG's capabilities yet, but they might be able to do intervals of cents. Any POGgers able to confirm or deny? Definitely not the Q-Tron, though, it's a filter not a harmonizer. There are a couple of multifx pedals designed for vocalists which might also have this ability.

I have used an MXR Pitch Transposer with great success for this- the downsides are that it only does one additional harmony at a time, and it's a two-rack-space unit.

6. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    No idea about the HOG, but if one of them was going to I'd say its probly that one. I may be wrong, but unless there's a way to tweak the thing I'm unaware of (which would be glorious) The POG is pretty much limited to pure octaves (and 2 slightly modulated octaves)

7. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Your best bet is the Whammy IV's detune modes. It has shallow and deep detunes which sound like a non-pulsating chorus. I'm not familiar with the song, but by description it seems to fit the bill for cheap.

You can do it with the HOG, but it requires fancy footwork with the expression pedal.

Or you could just get and Eventide Harmonizer...

8. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    would a Boss Harmoniser do it? i am listening to the album right now, and the album is now my second favorite Yes album. the Harmoniser would probably take the place of my Boss OC-3, but, i want one that much.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021