Chris Squire's "Roundabout"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by knight, Jan 8, 2003.

1. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    I hope this is the right place to post this: anyone know how to get that weird tone on Roundabout? It's a nice groove, and the closest I can get is by using neck pu, turning treble all the way up on preamp, and adding a little overdrive. I also slap most notes. Do you think distortion might be needed?
    Thanks fellas.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think you need a Rick with a pick.
  3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Chris used a Rick 4001 w Rotosound roundwounds. He was also fond of playing through guitar cabs to get that trebly sound. He usually played with a pick, too.
  4. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I agree with the above replies. I remember reading somewhere that he uses marshal guitar amps along with bass amps, so he has two big stacks for the sound. The OX used to do that aswell. Entwistle helped develop the roto sound round wound stings, but used a thunderbird bass.
  5. Chris' tone on Siberian Khatru is even better - yum yum :cool:
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I heard he used to use an old coin, too, a sixpence or something.
  7. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Thanks guys. well, gotta start saving for that 4001...
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL may wanna get a nice old one. The new ones I've played didn't have that same characteristic tone (though maybe it was just the ones I played).
  9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    A Ric isn't absolutely required for that tone, y'know. I've gotten really close with a simple P-bass and a SABDDI, and my G&L L2000 will nail it without any help. The pick is the key.
  10. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    You know, I actually went home and tried the groove on my P yesterday, and it did sound much closer, even though I have flats on it. good, saved me some money. I still wonder if a little distortion might be useful though.
  11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Yeah, a bit of an edge is very helpful in getting that tone. That what I meant with the reference to SABDDI (SansAmp Bass Driver DI)....the SVT setting sounds great for this.
  12. in BP there was a note that Chris Squire added an extra edge to the line by doubling it on one of Steve Howe's semi-acoustic guitars.
  13. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Totally. I love Squire's tone on all of 'Close To The Edge' for that matter (the album). "Siberian Khatru" is just overdriven bass bliss.

The "Roundabout" sound can be achieved with ample amounts of high end and high mids in your tone, and a pick doesn't hurt either since Squire used one. There is a guitar doubling the bass part an octave up as well.
  14. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I've matched the tone for that song.

I use a geddy lee sig with the tone slightly above half way, my bridge pickup at full and the neckpickup slightly rolled off (roll of until you hear that throaty mid range).

I don't use a pick! fingerstyle down on the bridge pickup and for that song I really dig in.

and i'm using a really crappy amp!:oops:
  15. The Key to Chris's sound was the use of a RickenBacher, A pick and Guitar amps. If you dont have a guitar Amp just turn down the bass on your Amp and guitar and crank the Mid and Treble up. It will pretty much sound the same.
  16. And don't forget, there's a fair bit of Wakeman's clavichord thrown into the mix on the original.

You might also try picking by the fingerboard. If you watch Chris play, he spends a good deal of his time picking there. That gives him a pretty thick bottom to the tone whereas his amp setup gives him much of the treble. Remember that on his Ric, because of the pickup cover, he can only play by the fingerboard or right by the bridge.