Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chris Wolstenholme (Muse) Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by karandy29, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Could anyone tell me about what is the bass he's using mainly? Thx! :bassist:

2. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Well, Chris uses Pedulla basses. Always the same model with only 1 pick up. I think it's the rapture model, but I am not sure.

he also has a Zon bass, and he played on a bass collectioon for the first album "showbiz".

Moreover, he must have an endorsement with fender cause he plays a jazzbass in live for the single. Last year, he played "sing for absolution" with a fender JB.

But his sound has a lot of effects.

3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Yes, Chris uses the Rapture with the single bartolini pickup.

His main effects are a boss syb3 and an Akai Deep Impact. I think he uses H+K amps...

4. He doesn't use an SYB-3, I'm certain of that, I have like 3 pics of his pedalboard and not one of them has it on.

Also, at Live 8 I saw a clip of them playing Hysteria, and Chris was playing a different model bass, not a Rapture like he did through the whole Absolution tour. However I don't quite know what bass it was, I only got a glance, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Rapture.

So maybe he has changed his main basses?

5. And he uses Marshal Amps too, good for his distortion.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It was a Silver fender Jazz.

Chris's "normal" basses are 5 string pedulla rapture's converted to 4 strings to give really wide string spacing.

7. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    :confused: ***??? are you sure of that toasted??

8. Woulden't suprise me he played one all through the Absolution tour, but only on Sing for Absolution.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    100%, absolutely, iron-shod sure.

10. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    That's what I need! Not so much for string spacing, but for neck size. :bassist:

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Ive got a live video of them playing sunburn and i cant see the extra hole in the headstock or the extra peghead how do you explain that?

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    How recent is it?

13. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Well he plays on Marshall amps and has a lot of effects. The distortion is a fuzz. He played with the big muff till the last tour.
    His rack contains 3 Line6 Podxt PRO.

14. I saw them live about a little over a month ago. He used all Pedulla Rapture basses.

15. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Perhaps, fender isn t intrested to endorse him on small gigs ;)

I have two vids where he plays a zon bass, but only on 1 song. It looks like a test.

The two gigs I saw was really similar to Glastonsburry's fest where he has a fender for the single.

It s my favorite band, and the bass parts are very powerfull!!! Pur rock!Muse rulez! :D

I think his pedulla model is very classic but very strong. I you search for a similar bass, I am sure you could do it at warmoth.

16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Hmm got me, i cant seem to find that info...

17. deadstar

deadstar

Sep 2, 2005
    I love muse! they are my favourite band and Chris Wolstenholme is one of my favourite bassists! he has loads of effects in his rack and he doesnt use an OC-3 he uses and OC-2, he uses pedulla Rapture basses, im not sure about the converted 5 string but that would make sense for one of his basses because it has 3 pegs on the top of the headstock and one on the bottom which you cant buy from Pedulla. I think one of his basses has a custom scratch plate too because it is black. For distortion he has 2 big muffs and he uses Annimato distortion. he will occasionally use the odd fender as he did in live 8 because all the songs they played were in the same tuning! Well sorry to go on lol, he is one awesome bassist! :)

18. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    JP, you may find it interesting that we made some rapture necks and bodies for Mike Pedulla while he was having production trouble a while back. We may well have made some part of the bass in question, though of course you couldn't get one from us.

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Really? Wow... what years?

20. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    2001, apparently. Before and after this, Pedulla did all the work, to the best of my knowedge.