1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chris Wood / MMW

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mksolid, Apr 10, 2006.

1. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Saw MMW again the other nite at the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia, PA. Man, let me tell you... these guys are juggernauts. Chris Wood was of course on fire, playing more creative lines than I've ever sat down and made up, and he was doing it live and improv of course. As for the band, absolutely transcendant, if that's even the word, experience.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Great stuff! Chris is one of my influences.

3. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Lucky guy! I'm burning to see them for the first time!
    Did Chris played his new CB bass?

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    same here! I can't stop listening to The Wood Brothers!!

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I need to pick that up real soon!

6. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    pronto!:D

7. Schwaa

Schwaa

Feb 25, 2006
    Wood Brothers huh?

8. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    yup, Oliver Wood and his brother Chris... Great album, the guys here at Orange and I have had it on constant rotation, since I loaded it on my iPod.

One of the most soulful albums that has come out in a long time! It's on BlueNote!

9. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    CB bass? He had a fender jazz, some violin bass, possibly hofner, and his typical double.

10. Aye, he has a CB bass...i kinda like the looks of those basses...I want one lol

11. Though I've never had the chance to see them live, I am a huge MMW fan. I'll keep my eye out for the Wood Brothers disk next time I'm in a cd shop.

12. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Indi you must see them. SOmehow they have managed to rope in the jamband fans and that is sometimes annoying because some of those people are into a "scene" more than they are into music itself. Luckily, MMW doesn't partake in any of that BS and they continue to evolve and innovate. They are the best, and they clearly love doin what they do. It's so fun to watch Chris lean over and jab notes at Medeski to see what his next move is... :)

13. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy

The violin bass is an Hofner. I didn't know he has a Jazz, for sure he has a couple of vintage P basses. He also had a CB bass built by Cliff Bordwell last year ... Chris played that bass at the usual Halloween Concert in NYC.
    Here's the spec of the CB bass:

http://www.cbbasses.com/ChrisWood.htm