Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chris Wood

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by redjeep!, Oct 27, 2002.

1. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I've just got back from a Medeski, Martin and Wood gig, and it has to be said that they were superb.

In particular, Chris Wood was brilliant, alternating between an upright and electric bass and doing loads of different stuff . I've been surprised that he's never really mentioned ( I know that Bass Player did a profile on him recently).

I also saw him about a month ago, when he was a guest with Gov't Mule and he was by far the best bassist on stage that night (there were two other big names playing that night - but I felt that he left them standing).

Any thoughts on him ?

2. My name is Chris Wood. Seriously, but I'm not famous. Maybe one day

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He gets mentioned here every once in a while. I also feel that he is a superb bassist. They are one of my top five bands easily. I envy you. I haven't seen them live in a couple of years. I'm a big fan.

brad cook

ps - hey I used to have clients in Poughkeepsie!

4. thats pretty funny, because one of my friend's name is Chris Wood.

but on the topic, i havent heard any of this guy's stuff. sorry.

5. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I wasn't too sure what to expect at the gig, and it started off very avant garde which got me worried as I'd managed to pursuade a couple of friends to come along who weren't really that into MMW.

Luckily the rest of the concert was great, Wood's ability to lock in with the drummer and keyboard was fantastic and their grooves were brilliant.

The encore was also a touch of genius. Wood and Martin came to the front of the stage, they were spotlighted with all the lights down. Wood played his upright un-amplified and Billy Martin played a small single drum.

They played like this, to a completely silent audience, for about 5 -10 minutes before Medeski came over with a mouth operated plastic keyboard (about 1ft long).....

Although this description sounds goofy, it was incredibly musical and absolutely superb.